93 YJ won't crank - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 YJ won't crank

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-04-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Penny_YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

93 YJ won't crank

when i turn the key forward to start me jeep there is no clicking from the solenoid, or anything, doesnt click or crank, headlights dont dim at all... everything else works just cant get it to crank... what could it be? just replaced the starter cuz i thought it might be that but still nothing.. i did just rehook up my wiring harness to the tub, because i had the body off.. i believe everything is hooked back up correctly.. anything i should be looking for?

Penny_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just went through this exact same issue with a 95 YJ. You need to check the starter switch on top of the steering column. It can go bad and then you don't get electric sent to the starter. It's cheap, about $12. Also make sure the wire going from the starter switch to the fuse relay box in the engine is solid and connected to the fuse. You can pull the fuse box out (The one by the battery) and take it apart to look at the bottom. The starter wire from the steering column to that fuse should be yellow. From there follow the wires down to the starter, is the starter getting power when you turn the key.

Or you could do all of this in reverse, start at the starter and work your way to the ignition switch on the steering column. Also check the fuse and make sure it is good. I just swapped it out with another similar fuse to test it.

My problem ended up being the wire going from the firewall to the fuse box itself. It had an entire section missing.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
Penny_YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

funny story, tranny linkage was out of adjustment, so it was stuck between park and reverse. simple adjusted it so it sit fully in park. cranked and fired right up... sometimes its the little things that seem to skip the mind when trying to find the answer.
Penny_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Neutral safety switch. You can change your trans type to 'auto' in your profile, that way we are better able to help. Glad you figured it out.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.