93 yj where to start??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 yj where to start???

UCF Tax Refund Sale - Last One of the Year!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
codyyj93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 yj where to start???

Hey thanks for looking any help would be awesome. I got my first jeep which is a 1993 yj 6 cylinder 100k miles all stock besides a 2 inch lift.

I'm wanting to turn it into a rock crawler but unsure where to start. I know I'd need bigger axles (dana 44 or dana 60) I'd like to do a SOA lift or a coil conversion. With the lift I do know I'd need new driveshaft and a sye. I would like to take the build step by step if possible. I just don't know where the best thing to start with would be.

I drive the jeep only to and from work. I would buy a new daily driver when abslutely need to.

Thanks again

codyyj93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:51 PM   #2
flashy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

you have to figure out what you are going to use it for... a street truck doesnt make a good rock crawler and a good rock crawler doesnt make a good street truck. So 80%street and 20% trails or vice versa. and then build it for that purpose. If its mainly on the street, you could stick with the leaf springs. If its mainly trails, you prolly would want to link the suspension. The second thing you have to figure out is the tire size. Once you figure that out, that will determine axles and the rest of the drivetrain. that will also determine lift if any. If you are planning on running 35's tires or smaller, you prolly wont to have to do an axle swap (except for the rear D35, that thing falls apart sitting in the driveway). Then things just start to fall in place from there. Oh yeah, BUDGET, BUDGET, BUDGET, if you dont have a budget, you dont know what you can afford. 4link and coilovers are a bit more expensive than leafs. Whatever your plan for a budget, quadrupple it...NO JOKE. I tripled my budget and still went way over. there are always unkowns.

I hope this gets you started!!!!

94 YJ slightly modified

00 WJ stock
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 12:03 AM   #3
enkeivette

Id run the stock axles till you break em, why not? Just put some redline in there. Focus on the lift first.
enkeivette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
codyyj93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks flashy that helped. What would you suggest for axles for running 35s for the tires?

But the problem with both of the lifts is you have to weld perches to the axles. I'd rather go get it done right the first time around.
Unread 06-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #5
Sparrows
It's coming...

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyyj93 View Post
But the problem with both of the lifts is you have to weld perches to the axles. I'd rather go get it done right the first time around.
If this scares you, you are in waaaaay over your head.

That said, spend some more time here on JF. Use the search button. Read a lot of threads. You have a long ways to go before you start building your rig.

Tell us what you want. I'm assuming you don't mean a full on buggy, just something to play in the rocks on? Where and what do you want to play on? Do you have a tow rig? Does it have to be streetable?

Oh and to directly answer you question, the ford 8.8 is the easiest, cheapest way to swap rear axles.

Cheers
Sparrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
codyyj93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Correct there it will not be a buggy but something that can do some good wheeling yet be street legal that I could drive out to the trails (driving it to the trails will be the only road it will sees) because I don't have a tow rig nor will I get one.

I'm just having trouble where that happy medium would be and what I should do first.
Unread 06-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
codyyj93
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows

If this scares you, you are in waaaaay over your head.

That said, spend some more time here on JF. Use the search button. Read a lot of threads. You have a long ways to go before you start building your rig.

Tell us what you want. I'm assuming you don't mean a full on buggy, just something to play in the rocks on? Where and what do you want to play on? Do you have a tow rig? Does it have to be streetable?

Oh and to directly answer you question, the ford 8.8 is the easiest, cheapest way to swap rear axles.

Cheers
Correct there it will not be a buggy but something that can do some good wheeling yet be street legal that I could drive out to the trails (driving it to the trails will be the only road it will sees) because I don't have a tow rig nor will I get one.

I'm just having trouble where that happy medium would be and what I should do first.
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Do you hang out w/ any rock crawlers? Have a club you can get in with to get some ideas on what you'd like your Jeep to be? Your post reads like you are name dropping parts you've read about on the internet or in a magazine.

Honestly, I'd do some searching and find a Jeep built similar to what you have in mind for your own Jeep. After you find it, find out what all they did and start putting together a plan on what it will take to do your Jeep. After you get back up off the floor (did I forget to mention you will pass out from sticker shock?), try to buy the Jeep already built like you want for 1/2 the price of the parts list you just put together.

I'm all about built not bought, but economically speaking it makes no sense at all, especially if you are looking to do a full build all at once and do it right the first time.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.