93' YJ Tilt Column Swap Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93' YJ Tilt Column Swap Issues

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 06-06-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
hakukamana
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93' YJ Tilt Column Swap Issues

I have just finished a tilt column swap into the YJ from a standard column. The standard column, locked the steering wheel when the key was removed. The new swap went fine until it came to the ignition cylinder. The tilt column retains the cylinder with a torx screw which engages the lock cylinder and locks it into the housing, the original column used a spring loaded detent to secure the cylinder in place. I have both cylinders and the bodies are different. Both fit and start the jeep but the cylinder that,s keyed to the jeep will just pull out the housing. #2 The old column would lock the steering wheel, the tilt will not, it appears that some columns did not lock the steering wheel. What do I need to do to put the correct cylinder into the column and keep the original key for all the locks? How do I make the tilt column, lock upon key removal? I have the parts break down and it lists a lot of different parts but not really sure what direction to go. Everything else works fine, starts runs, all switches operate, tilt is tight, I just need to secure the cylinder in the column and lock the steering wheel. From the seller the tilt was a 92' YJ.

hakukamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakukamana View Post
I have just finished a tilt column swap into the YJ from a standard column. The standard column, locked the steering wheel when the key was removed. The new swap went fine until it came to the ignition cylinder. The tilt column retains the cylinder with a torx screw which engages the lock cylinder and locks it into the housing, the original column used a spring loaded detent to secure the cylinder in place. I have both cylinders and the bodies are different. Both fit and start the jeep but the cylinder that,s keyed to the jeep will just pull out the housing. #2 The old column would lock the steering wheel, the tilt will not, it appears that some columns did not lock the steering wheel. What do I need to do to put the correct cylinder into the column and keep the original key for all the locks? How do I make the tilt column, lock upon key removal? I have the parts break down and it lists a lot of different parts but not really sure what direction to go. Everything else works fine, starts runs, all switches operate, tilt is tight, I just need to secure the cylinder in the column and lock the steering wheel. From the seller the tilt was a 92' YJ.
Can you swap out the pins from the old cylinder to the new one that came with the tilt column? Since the cylinders are out on the bench that should be fairly easy, right?

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
hakukamana
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Changing the tumblers on the tilt ignition cylinder, will get me keyed alike to everything on the Jeep. I just have never changed tumblers in the lock cylinder before. I have the tumbler assembly out of the barrel on the tilt, just not gutsy enough to disassemble both ignition cylinders. I don't know if the tumblers will interchange? Still don't know if that would fix the steering wheel not locking issue?
Unread 06-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #4
hakukamana
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Adjustments to the YJ column

After a lot of research, a trip to the local locksmith, a trip to Chrysler, I have figured out how to deal with the issue.

The retention of the ignition cylinder tumbler into the column. The column was a pre 91' it had a single cut key and was secured by a torx screw, my standard column was a non-tilt 93'. The tilt column cylinder had a groove that was milled into the body that the torx screw secured into the column. As both cylinders worked in the column but were retained differently, I measured the barrels a determined the groove dimensions on the old cylinder transferring those dimensions to the new cylinder and then using a carbide tipped cutter on a dremel tool, duplicated the groove.

Now I have the double cut key ignition cylinder original to the 93' and fits all my doors, secured in the column by the torx screw.

The steering wheel lock pin was another story, disassembled the upper column shrouds, got down to the tilt section and the ignition gear rack, the steering wheel locking pin utilizes a very special bent spring to align and return the pin to its home position, it also helps the ignition cam gear to move the pin forward in the lock position. This spring needs to be inserted into a slot on the ignition cam gear to make sure that it returns and retracts in the (start/on position) and advances into the lock plate when you lock the column. It is tricky especially removing the spring off the pin but is do-able.

Bottom line, ignition is in, cylinder won't fall out, jeep is keyed alike for all locks, 1 key, and the steering wheel locks when not in use, peace of mind. Benefit tilt, intermittent wipers, and a completely rebuilt steering column.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.