93 YJ - Replacing Hard Brake Lines -- Experiences? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 YJ - Replacing Hard Brake Lines -- Experiences?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
hokiejeep21

93 YJ - Replacing Hard Brake Lines -- Experiences?

Hello All. New to this forum and wanted to get people's opinions and/or experiences. My 93YJ failed inspection the other day for a busted drive side brake line. I am thinking about replacing all the hard lines and using a pre-bent kit I found on one of the 4x4 websites. I was hoping to get some recommendations or advice from others who have done this repair before. I for sure need to at least replace that driver side line that was busted, but may hold off on doing the other lines until I get some extra free time. Any help anyone may have is greatly appreciated. Thanks All.

hokiejeep21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
95YamJam
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You can get the pre bent ones. I'm sure it will work fine. I have a flare tool so I made my own from 3/16 sticks. Bending it is pretty easy by hand. When my rear one broke I replaced them all. Piece of mind.
Unread 09-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

you can replace all the hard lines using pre flared sections for about $50 - $60. Measure with care and you can make it all fit just right since the sections come in a multitude of lengths. Take the old ones off and use them as bending templates.

Flaring your own isn't hard but it's a skill that takes practice to do well and there is really not much savings doing it that way.

Personally, I would replace the calipers ($18 ea), wheel cylinders ($10 ea) and maybe the master if there is rust in the lines. I did just that to mine and having new parts and new clean fluid made a world of difference in the braking
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
95YJRusso
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The only hard part will be rusted bolts and hardware, and bleeding the systems afterwards if you have never done it before. My hardware was rusted so I sent it in to have them done.
Unread 09-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can fashion some thread-on plugs. When you disconnect a line you can quickly install the plugs to minimize the mess and keep the master full.
Unread 09-08-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

4WD hardware, full stainless steel kit for about $125 shipped... worth every penny! I had to change the bend at the rear where the line goes over the axle and connects to the rubber hose, but a minor adjustment. You will have to straighten the lines as they come "folded" to fit the box, but they can be bent back perfectly straight with little effort by hand. The front lines that run around the frame even have the spring coil on them like the OEM. It's a complete kit and even has the coil loops from the master to the portioning valve. For the money, and time saved to use the pre-bent kits, it's worth every cent... stainless steel is just icing on the cake!

Oh... and just go ahead and but new rubber hoses for the two front wheels and the one line in the rear, as well as a pair of rear wheel cylinders when you do it. It will cost a little more, but you will be up at 100% if your front brakes are good.

Oh, and just to be clear, I have all my own hose bending and flaring tools and know very well how to use them... still worth every cent!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
hokiejeep21

All, Thanks for your Feedback. It's much appreciated. Without having any of the tools, I'll probably just go with the pre-bent stuff to make my life a little easier. I did have a follow-up question for "jbolty". Why are you suggesting to replace both the Calipers and the Wheel Cylinders? I am pretty clueless, so I'm just trying to understand your opinion. In addition, when searching for Brake Calipers...I'm seeing prices north of $60 each, so I'm also curious where you're getting your prices. Again, any other opinions and advice is greatly appreciated....complete newbie regarding repairs.
Unread 09-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just did a full replacement on my lines, but I didn't go with the pre-bent and pre-flared lines. If I had to start it all over I would DEFINATELY get pre-bent and pre-flared lines. The amount of time it would have saved me would have been huge.

Also, make sure you use a brake line wrench set when removing the old lines. Regular open wrenches could round the old nuts off and then you will be in a world of hurt. The brake line wrenches will give you better grip.

Install the front passenger side line first. It is by far the hardest one to get into place, so if you install it first you won't have to worry about the other lines getting in the way.

When you bleed the brakes, go rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver. Also I found that putting a clear tube on the end of the bleeder going into a bottle of brake fluid will allow you to bleed the brakes by yourself and not lose any brake fluid in the process. The bubbles blow out the end of the tube into the brake fluid bottle, but all that sucks back into the line is the brake fluid in the bottle. Makes it much quicker even if you have two people on the job.
scraper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiejeep21 View Post
All, Thanks for your Feedback. It's much appreciated. Without having any of the tools, I'll probably just go with the pre-bent stuff to make my life a little easier. I did have a follow-up question for "jbolty". Why are you suggesting to replace both the Calipers and the Wheel Cylinders? I am pretty clueless, so I'm just trying to understand your opinion. In addition, when searching for Brake Calipers...I'm seeing prices north of $60 each, so I'm also curious where you're getting your prices. Again, any other opinions and advice is greatly appreciated....complete newbie regarding repairs.
A lot of people replace them just to be thorough. Personally I would only replace them if they are defective. It's money you don't have to spend if you don't need to.
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #10
hokiejeep21

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraper View Post
I just did a full replacement on my lines, but I didn't go with the pre-bent and pre-flared lines. If I had to start it all over I would DEFINATELY get pre-bent and pre-flared lines. The amount of time it would have saved me would have been huge.

Also, make sure you use a brake line wrench set when removing the old lines. Regular open wrenches could round the old nuts off and then you will be in a world of hurt. The brake line wrenches will give you better grip.

Install the front passenger side line first. It is by far the hardest one to get into place, so if you install it first you won't have to worry about the other lines getting in the way.

When you bleed the brakes, go rear passenger, rear driver, front passenger, front driver. Also I found that putting a clear tube on the end of the bleeder going into a bottle of brake fluid will allow you to bleed the brakes by yourself and not lose any brake fluid in the process. The bubbles blow out the end of the tube into the brake fluid bottle, but all that sucks back into the line is the brake fluid in the bottle. Makes it much quicker even if you have two people on the job.
Scraper -- Did you replace the calipers and the wheel cylinders also? That was recommended by a previous poster and I was trying to understand the suggestion. In addition, I'm seeing there are different options for YJ's that have ABS for the Pre-Bent lines. My YJ does have ABS so those pre-bents tend to cost a little more. I'm seeing Classic Tube as the brand that offers pre-bents for ABS. Which brand did you use?
Unread 09-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
scraper
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiejeep21 View Post
Scraper -- Did you replace the calipers and the wheel cylinders also? That was recommended by a previous poster and I was trying to understand the suggestion. In addition, I'm seeing there are different options for YJ's that have ABS for the Pre-Bent lines. My YJ does have ABS so those pre-bents tend to cost a little more. I'm seeing Classic Tube as the brand that offers pre-bents for ABS. Which brand did you use?
I made my own lines, so I can't help you with the brand. I did not replace the calipers or wheel cylinders as they were in good condition, so I didn't feel like wasting the money on new parts I don't need. I did end up having to replace the Master Cylinder though, because the nuts where so rotted that I couldn't get some of them off the Cylinder and had to cut them off. Too bad on the ABS, most YJs don't have them.
Unread 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM   #12
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

If your lines are rusted to the point of leaking there is almost certainly flakes of rust in the fluid along with probably water and other crud. Replacing the entire system for another $50 worth of calipers and cylinders just makes good sense. Swapping the soft lines is a good idea too, unless they are fairly new. Brakes are a system and it avoids a lot of future issues by swapping everything at once. Cooling systems are the same way. We are forever reading about guys who changed the thermostat, then the belt, then the hoses then the heater core, then the lower hose and finally the radiator and taking a lot more time a trouble in the process

Using pre bent lines makes the job way easier but convenience costs money. Your call.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:17 PM   #13
Matt The Hammer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Double flaring puts hair on your chest.

Learn it, love it, live it.
Unread 09-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #14
hokiejeep21

Does anyone who has done the repair know why it matters if you have ABS or not? There is a significant price difference between the 2 options if you are looking at buying prebent. Was curious why one would only work over the other.

Here are the options (Doesn't specify ABS or not)
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/brake-l...-16737-50.html

Specifically says WILL WORK with ABS.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/stainle...ct-je1056.html

I tried to talk to the guys at OMIX-ADA and they didn't give a very convincing answer although they told me it would work. Mentioned something about ABS being at the wheel and their lines went all the way to the wheel and didn't matter whether it was ABS or not. Said the soft lines were for that.

Can anyone opine on this? and whether it truely matters regarding the ABS. I don't have access to the jeep, so I was trying to find a diagram of how the lines look for when they move towards the rear of the Jeep. Coudn't find anything.
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #15
hokiejeep21

Anyone have thoughts on the two pre-bent options mentioned in my above post. Also, hoping someone could explain the ABS thing. Thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.