93 YJ radio wiring issue - lack of constant power source - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 YJ radio wiring issue - lack of constant power source

July 4th Sale Event! and Yes, We're Open!Metalcloak: Celebrate Freedom with Free ShippingThe Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!

Unread 06-20-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

X4 on xabujr.
Yes the Dome light is a good alternative. It is labeled Dome light, but there are other things running from it. Tomorrow. I'll take a picture of mine and show you the add on.
The fuse is not there to protect the dome light, it is to protect the wire harness.

Regards,

Jim W

JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2015, 08:25 AM   #17
atmu5fear
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I see this is an old post, but if I recall the original radio in the yj didn't have constant, it was switched like acc. There are however constant 12v sources on the fuse panel, tap the yellow radio wire into one of these. Just make sure your tapping into the side after the fuse so the fuse is still protecting (put ignition into fully off position, pull the fuse and test each side of the prongs the fuse plugs into) U want to tap the side that's dead when the fuse is pulled, not the side that's live without a fuse.
atmu5fear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2015, 05:39 AM   #18
paulsadog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmu5fear View Post
I see this is an old post, but if I recall the original radio in the yj didn't have constant, it was switched like acc. There are however constant 12v sources on the fuse panel, tap the yellow radio wire into one of these. Just make sure your tapping into the side after the fuse so the fuse is still protecting (put ignition into fully off position, pull the fuse and test each side of the prongs the fuse plugs into) U want to tap the side that's dead when the fuse is pulled, not the side that's live without a fuse.
You are correct, this is an old thread.

But you are also incorrect, at least for a 1993 and I think for 1992 up to a 1995. In 1992 the clock was removed from the dash and included in the radio. The pink wire in the radio plug, pin 10 I belive, is a constant hot probably for the clock and preset memory. This goes thru fuse 12 (10A) in the PDC. Switched power is supplied to the red wire, pin 9, from fuse 7 (20A) in the fuse block.
paulsadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2015, 06:52 PM   #19
atmu5fear
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Ahh that would make sense. I have an 87, I actually ended up taking the constant feed from the gauge clock since its the closest think with constant 12v. I do recall a friends yj without the dash clock and the stock radio having constant. It was a 95. I stand corrected.
Unread 06-09-2015, 09:35 AM   #20
paulsadog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ahh that would make sense. I have an 87, I actually ended up taking the constant feed from the gauge clock since its the closest think with constant 12v. I do recall a friends yj without the dash clock and the stock radio having constant. It was a 95. I stand corrected.
Sorry,
I was thinking you had a 1993. You really should fill in your profile information so we know more about you and your jeep.
I have to agree, your clock power will do what you need it to do. I don't have a wiring diagram for your year jeep.

Food for thought, better to start a new thread and ask your questions with your specific problem instead of bringing back an old thread. Plenty of people here that are willing to give you information
Unread 06-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #21
atmu5fear
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No worries, OP's jeep is a 93, I wasn't asking for help, I was just offering what I know about my jeep to anyone who might have been reading this old thread down the road. Would fill out my pro, but the android app doesn't have the option to and my laptop is kaput ?
Unread 06-11-2015, 04:36 AM   #22
paulsadog
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No worries, OP's jeep is a 93, I wasn't asking for help, I was just offering what I know about my jeep to anyone who might have been reading this old thread down the road. Would fill out my pro, but the android app doesn't have the option to and my laptop is kaput ?
I guess this forum is not geared to the Android platform as well because I to have some problems using my tablet and have to log in using my windows computer to do some things like searches.

Looking forward to hearing from you and hearing about any issues you bring up in the future.

Tags
radio , wiring , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.