93 YJ Not Starting - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 YJ Not Starting

Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!TERAFLEX JKU 2.5" Elite LCG Long FlexArm Lift Kit w/ March Madness LOCKER SALE + FREE SHIPPING + $30-$50 REBATE

Unread 04-06-2015, 09:21 PM   #1
Shai23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 YJ Not Starting

Last week, I started my YJ and it cut out on me. Now, whenever I turn the ignition I'm getting no response, like it isn't getting any power. I have replaced the alternator, the ignition switch, and, after browsing a few threads on here, I've even switched out the "dome" fuse. All with no luck.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Shai23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2015, 10:37 PM   #2
MoreBassXD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

no response as in the dash isn't coming on either? Or just the starter isn't moving?
MoreBassXD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 06:37 AM   #3
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do the headlights work?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:01 AM   #4
Shai23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The dash is not coming on.

Yes, the headlights work.
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You need to check the fuses under the hood. It sounds like you blew the one for the ignition feed.
Unread 04-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #6
Shai23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just changed the ignition fuse, still not getting anything
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:19 PM   #7
Shai23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Really, I'm at the point where I'll try anything to remedy this.
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a meter? Is this a dd
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Have you had the battery checked?
Unread 04-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #10
Shai23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't have a meter, I bought it for that reason until I can get my ZJ up and running.

I have not had it professionally checked, but at the start of all this I did try to jump start it.
Unread 04-07-2015, 11:26 PM   #11
MoreBassXD
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Headlights working but dash doesn't come on and a good ignition fuse? Either sounds like the ignition switch is bad or the wire for power to it is cut somewhere.

Under your dash there is a set of 4 wires going into a plug on the top of your steering column. Large red is power in, test if this has constant power with a multimeter, if you don't have one borrow one, although I suggest you buy one, they come in handy. If there is no power to this wire then use the multimeter and test power to the ignition fuse. Check both sides. If neither has power then you need to follow the wires that go to the back of the fuse panel back. Keep tracing these wires back until you finally get a power reading at a connection. Once you see power you know the issue is between the connection you found power on and the connection after it.

Green is to the starter, this is only powered when the ignition is turned all the way. Yellow is ignition and orange is accessory. If power is getting to the switch (Red wire) then check if power is getting to Yellow and red when the ignition is in the on position. If yellow and orange don't have power coming out but red has power going in, then your ignition switch is bad.

I don't recommend this as it can blow fuses and isn't smart at all, but if you don't have a multimeter you can use a length of wire and hold it to the contact point or wire that should have power and then tap the other end of the wire to a ground. If you have power it will spark, although this doesn't tell you how much power is going through because you could also have a power draw issue where the wire isn't cut but there is something causing resistance in the wiring such as the insulation wore off and its lightly touching the body.
MoreBassXD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2015, 05:44 AM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You really need to be able to check power some way to troubleshoot. Test lights are cheap and a meter can be less then $20 for a cheap one. More summed it up. Check for power at the column. Use a meter or test light. Are you sure you checked the right fuse in the PDC? I think its F4.
Unread 04-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #13
Shai23
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm going to go buy a meter today. That is the fuse I checked. I'll update once I've checked the wires.

Tags
won't start , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.