93 YJ, lots of questions (and pics) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 YJ, lots of questions (and pics)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsEnd of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 05-26-2005, 12:50 PM   #1
BigCanoe

93 YJ, lots of questions (and pics)

Hi, I bought a 1993 YJ yesterday, and I have a few questions. I am going to ask them here, and try and show pictures where I can. If you can suggest a place I can order a replacement part in question, that would be great too.

1)How should I go about cleaning up areas where there are paint chips down to the metal, where there is rust in the scratch or chip? I figure I need to remove the rust then repaint to stop the rust from causing any problems.

2)There are several holes (drilled from old brackets, etc) on the body. What should I use to fill these?

3) There is a seal/gasket/something rubber below the windshield, where if folds. Its looking pretty old and beat, where could I get a replacement for that?

4) My YJ has a chrome grill, was that a standard feature, or was it aftermarket?

5) There is a rolled up pad inside, under the soft top, its kinda torn up, where could I get a replacement for that?

6) Was there a lower part to my dash? It seems like there are a lot of wires and metal bits exposed, just not sure if thats normal.

7) There are bungies holding the top hardware to the rollbar in the back, is that normal?

8) The top is a Bestop of some kind. There are snaps above the door, on the top, but nothing to snap them onto in several places. Do you know where I can buy some snap posts that would fit these snaps and allow me to secure the top better to the body?

9) It looks like someone cut some holes in the airbox (if thats the term) any idea why they would do that?

10) The standard jack was removed, I have the parts, but dont know how to secure it to the bracket. Does anyone have a picture of the jack installed?

11) There are some sort of shackles (for lack of a better term) on the front bumper, but none in the back, but it looks like there are holes for them. Where could I get some of these?

12) There is a small cubby/indentation below the speedo. It looks like there used to be something there, any idea what?

13) There is light rust on the springs, etc, underneath, any point messing with that?

14) What is this guage with two half circles next to the gas guage?

15) How hard is it to replace the gas guage, it seems a little innacurate.

16) How hard/possible is it to remove old vinyl decals, like the ones on the rear?

17) There are some rubber grommets where the hood meets the body and they are pretty worn down, where can I get replacements?

To see the questions with the images (too big to post here), please use this link:
Questions

Thats it for now, thanks

If you want to see way too many pictures of the Jeep in general, look here:
My Jeep

BigCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
jeverett
2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK, I can't see pics, I just get a bunch of red Xs on the page, so I will explain what I can without seeing pics to see what you mean in some cases.

1. sand the rust out, and then hit it with some paint to protect it, it is a jeep, it doesn't have to look perfect, but not rusting is good.

2. that depends on size, but most you can clean up arround and fill with weld, sand down even, and paint over

4. that was standard on some packages, not on others.

6. there is not a lower piece to teh dash (I am assuming you have all of the dash, but I can't see the pics, however hanging wires is normal, if it really ecessive they may have messed with yoour wireing in the past.

7. bungies is not what came with the kit, as for normal, well it is a jeep fix I have seen before.

9. they were probably looking for better airflow.

11. that sounds like tow hooks, and it sounds like the former owner had rings not hooks, there was someone selling some in the forsale forum not long ago, check there.

13. wouldn't worry about it, the springs and such are OK with light surface rust IMO, you will probably want to replace them with lift springs before they get bad, the Tub, and fram I would clean up

16. It can be done with patience, but it will leave an unfaded spot if it is on a painted area
Unread 05-26-2005, 01:06 PM   #3
canesqb3

4) I am pretty sure it is aftermarket. You usually see them if that part is started to rust.
11) If they are D-rings you can get them at any tractor supply store for sure and i dont know about lowes of HD.
13) I have the same thing i havnt messed with it and i dont see it growing. I just hose it off real good when i go near salt water.
14) All i know is that the top half shows when 4wd has engaged.
17) I dont know for sure but i bet quadratec could help you out, and if not google is your friend.
95 YJ 6 cyl., RE 4.5 XD lift, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS all terrain, Mickey Thompson Classic II's, Tera Low SYE and CV Drive shaft, Smittybuilt rocker guards, Rock Hard Front Bumper and steering box skid, LOD Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier, 1" BL, tj flares,T-max 9000lb. winch, Overhead Sound pods, Rhino Lined, pro comp spotlights, midland cb radio.
COMING SOON... painting rims black, synthetic winch rope
[B]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]JESUS IS LORD!!!![/COLOR][/B]
canesqb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2005, 01:15 PM   #4
wolf3902

#17 and a lot of others
http://www.4wd.com/shop/productdetai...uctsku=4007504

ONE NATION, UNDER G O D
Support It, or Leave It!
wolf3902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #5
BigCanoe

Thank you, I fixed the pictures. Ah, thanks for the link and the names, I should be able to spend some money easily now
BigCanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2005, 01:16 PM   #6
rickr
2000 TJ Wrangler 

look up quadratec and have them send you a catalog. full of all kinds of replacement parts and goodies! then, let your creativity flow and have fun!
rickr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.