Hi, I bought a 1993 YJ yesterday, and I have a few questions. I am going to ask them here, and try and show pictures where I can. If you can suggest a place I can order a replacement part in question, that would be great too.
1)How should I go about cleaning up areas where there are paint chips down to the metal, where there is rust in the scratch or chip? I figure I need to remove the rust then repaint to stop the rust from causing any problems.
2)There are several holes (drilled from old brackets, etc) on the body. What should I use to fill these?
3) There is a seal/gasket/something rubber below the windshield, where if folds. Its looking pretty old and beat, where could I get a replacement for that?
4) My YJ has a chrome grill, was that a standard feature, or was it aftermarket?
5) There is a rolled up pad inside, under the soft top, its kinda torn up, where could I get a replacement for that?
6) Was there a lower part to my dash? It seems like there are a lot of wires and metal bits exposed, just not sure if thats normal.
7) There are bungies holding the top hardware to the rollbar in the back, is that normal?
8) The top is a Bestop of some kind. There are snaps above the door, on the top, but nothing to snap them onto in several places. Do you know where I can buy some snap posts that would fit these snaps and allow me to secure the top better to the body?
9) It looks like someone cut some holes in the airbox (if thats the term) any idea why they would do that?
10) The standard jack was removed, I have the parts, but dont know how to secure it to the bracket. Does anyone have a picture of the jack installed?
11) There are some sort of shackles (for lack of a better term) on the front bumper, but none in the back, but it looks like there are holes for them. Where could I get some of these?
12) There is a small cubby/indentation below the speedo. It looks like there used to be something there, any idea what?
13) There is light rust on the springs, etc, underneath, any point messing with that?
14) What is this guage with two half circles next to the gas guage?
15) How hard is it to replace the gas guage, it seems a little innacurate.
16) How hard/possible is it to remove old vinyl decals, like the ones on the rear?
17) There are some rubber grommets where the hood meets the body and they are pretty worn down, where can I get replacements?
To see the questions with the images (too big to post here), please use this link:
Thats it for now, thanks
If you want to see way too many pictures of the Jeep in general, look here: