93 yj "hound" build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 yj "hound" build

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 02-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #1
chinuck
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 yj "hound" build

Well just wanted to start by saying that jeepforum is defintily the best forum iv been on for awhile. Without the wealth of knowledge iv found here there is no way this jeep would be sitting where it is today.Also just a little discloser this is low budget build so like most will progress slowly but hope yall enjoy.

So the story of the jeep begins a few moths back when my wife and myself found out were having a kid which was great news for us but also meant there be less play money for toys. So we sold are 1970 fj40 for $2100 and two warn 8274 winchs then found what i thought to be the perfect jeep on craigslist. It was a 1993 Yj 4.0 manual that had a solid frame and body, Bikini top, bestop soft top, half doors with soft uppers, 31" tires, 3" BL, extra speakers and a pile of parts for $1000 but that it needed Transfer case work. So ran out that day and bought it. Heres some pics of when we first got it.

So i soon found out that it actually needed a new transfer case when the old one came out in two seperate pieces. After looking around craiglist and local yards i couldnt find a replacment that fit my budget until i found a found a np 242 for $100. I couldnt find much info about swapping a 242 and many people seemed to stay away from it but was really my only option and dont regret it on bit.

Here is a pic with the 242 bolted up

And to fix the gear selection issue i had buddy cut up a new shift plate

Then i had to do the homemade posi-lok since i no longer had vacume through the T-case and thanks to AuroraJeep for the write up. Theres still some loose ends to finish but it got me on the trails and riding.

Pick from first trail ride

Of course need the poser shot

So did a few more trail rides and tinkered for weeks doing things like moving lights up to windshield working on fixing gauges and water proofing then found out the club im part of was doing a ride up to alabama for the weekend of the 16th so finnaly got a move on making my bumper and mounting a winch up. So bought some metal and shackle mounts from AtoZ fab and headed over to a friends house since he has a much better selection of tools and knowledge metal working than i do. Heres some pics of the bumper build.

Still have to angle cut and cap the ends then paint but really wanted it for the group ride. The trip to alabama was the first time i really pushed the jeep and really happy with how it performed. Other than broken rear u-joint on the drive up i had no other broken parts and had no major issues. Didnt get many pictures past weekend due to me having to much fun behind the wheel and my wife not wanting to constantley get out but heres one of our group and another of the jeep.

Well that brings everything up to date so i guess ill list what my future plans are.
-Lift havent decided on which route yet im debating 4" SUA or doing SOA in rear with 8.8 swap and Matching lift springs SUA up front or all SOA
-8.8 swap later down road or when d35 breaks
-SYE with either tom woods shaft or a homebrewed
-Cut the 3" Bl down to 1 or 1.5"
-1" MML
-Tube fenders up front
-rockers/corner armor
-Small stuff like flush mount rear lights, onboard air,Replace Bedliner in tub, etc

Hopefully yall enjoyed and stay tuned while i trade, bargain and make deals on parts to keep this build active

chinuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Tuned in. Great price!
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
chinuck
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ya i got it for a steal the PO just went out and bought a new jeep and wanted it gone.
Unread 02-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
chinuck
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well not much to update on, just finished fixing gauges and for the first time got my dash all put together. On another note bought my wife a stock 93 with a rebuilt engine that has less than 1000 miles on it and hardtop so alot of time will be spent working on hers to get it up and running but with the plans i have in mind should be able to get alot done on my jeep as well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.