93 YJ Help. Oil in air filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 YJ Help. Oil in air filter

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 99551 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #1
JackNCoke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 YJ Help. Oil in air filter

Hey everyone I'm new to the jeep world. I recently bought a 93 YJ with the 4.0L. I went to change the air filter out, and I noticed the air filter housing was completely soaked with oil. And I mean SOAKED. So I cleaned it all out and replaced the air filter. I realized that all of the oil had come from the breather hose that leads to the valve cover. So I disconnected the hose and put a seperate filter on top of the valve cover. Then I took the jeep for a spin, and I smelled burning oil. I popped the hood and there was oil everywhere. It was coming out of the breather filter on the valve cover. Will someone please tell me why my jeep is doing this?

JackNCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
americanjeeper
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Now was it coming out of the hole closest to the radiator? or the CCV?
I'd check the PCV make sure it is there mine was just an open chamber check to see if you're having a vacuum leak off the intake manifold check everywhere
Could be blown rings

Was the oil the front middle or the back of the air filter?
americanjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:58 AM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

DO the easy cheap stuff first. Take the valve cover off and clean the baffles for the CCV system in there. When they get clogged it will spit oil into the air filter. Also check to make sure you have vacuum at the line going into the valve cover. If I remember correctly it should be the one going into the valve cover closest to the fire wall. You can also do a compression test to check your rings. Someone else will have to give you instructions on the compression test though as I am currently learning that one myself.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #4
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have a 93 as well and was experiencing mild blow-by, so I removed and cleaned the valve cover and baffles, resealed it and also cleaned the tubes to the breather and CCV... problem solved... sounds like your is building some serious pressure though...

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:07 AM   #5
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Jaycal and siva are right on. FYI - There is no pcv on your Yj.

Most likely the po was not oil change friendly and you have sludge in the valve cover. Clean the valve cover out. Then check.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

FYI No need for two threads on the same subject.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
JackNCoke
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies. Yes sorry about posting 2 threads on the same subject. I'm new to the forum and didn't realize what I was doing.
JackNCoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.