93 Yj: Engine Swap 4.0. Bringing my Baby back to Life! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 Yj: Engine Swap 4.0. Bringing my Baby back to Life!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-07-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
Omsk178
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 Yj: Engine Swap 4.0. Bringing my Baby back to Life!

Hello everyone.
So I've decided to take the task of swapping my old blown 4.0 242AMC out of my 93' Wrangler sport, and swap in with a 94' Jeep Wrangler 4.0. Same Engine

So a little back story of this swap:
About a week ago I was driving home from an amazing Halloween party, and about 30 miles from my house the Engine blew :thumb down:

Being stuck in the middle of no where on the 101 highway by Gilroy at 4:00 A.M. Is not ideal… at all!

After waiting for triple A for two hours, they never called. They had a problem with their "driver" so I said screw this and decided to call my parents to come get me. Got picked up and luckily borrowed a friends Toyota to tow it back to my house.

After finally getting home and having a cold glass of water
I assessed the engine, and found these beautiful hole!

After, making a thread on YJ Forums! ( thank you all who helped me with this)
I decided to keep her, and put a used motor in her and later on rebuilt it.
(Fourth Jeep, first Wrangler) After, a few days of looking through craigslist and other websites, I found a local guy about an hour north of me in San Jose, with a 120 K Mile engine out of a 94' Wrangler. Finally, had the time to pick it up last night with my dad and friend.

The Worse way to possibly strap an engine into the back of my Moms Van.

But in our defense it was super late and it was also my moms birthday so she wasn't to happy with us, going to go pick it up. So we had to hurry home!

so Today…. and this week will begin the swap!

Omsk178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Excellent. Damn nice Jeep. Well, except for the holes in the motor, but that's being taken care of.

Good choice.
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
Omsk178
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So while working on it we found out that the manifolds are not the same…. We think its just because how California is with their emissions. So Im thinking just swapping the old manifold on to the new engine? Any thoughts? And buy a new manifold gasket.
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Forgive me for going ....

What color paint do you have there? Is that WWII OD green by chance? Looking to paint my new tub in the next few months and I love the color from what I can see...

Anyways, been following all 3 of your threads on this, best of luck to you. I can't imagine having to go from a perfectly functional heep to finding any motor that will work all in a month's time.

Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Omsk178
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Forgive me for going ....

What color paint do you have there? Is that WWII OD green by chance? Looking to paint my new tub in the next few months and I love the color from what I can see...

Anyways, been following all 3 of your threads on this, best of luck to you. I can't imagine having to go from a perfectly functional heep to finding any motor that will work all in a month's time.

No worries! Yea, Its the OD green camouflage from krylon. Picked it up at O'reillys.

So we weren't able to finish getting the engine out today, but got majority of it down.

While doing it We noticed that the engine manifold from my old engine was different from the 94.

Mine has the entrys for two fuel lines, while the 94 only has it for one?

We were thinking of just switch the manifolds? or just taking the ignition line ( I think its what its called.. ) And switching it over to the 94 Engine.

Ill take some pictures and show you guys what I mean.
Unread 11-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Omsk178
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Alright, So after 2 hours of trying to get the damn engine out. No luck.. Seems theirs on more bolt at the very top where the transmission dipstick is by.. Im clueless to how to get it out. Im thinking of dropping the Transmission, and seems like it will just be simpler on the long run? Any thoughts?
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omsk178 View Post
Alright, So after 2 hours of trying to get the damn engine out. No luck.. Seems theirs on more bolt at the very top where the transmission dipstick is by.. Im clueless to how to get it out. Im thinking of dropping the Transmission, and seems like it will just be simpler on the long run? Any thoughts?
If you can't reach the top bolts?

Swivel extension

Unread 11-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
psyco31

I had to lower my tranny to swivel it down to get the top two. U might be able to get them with a standard wrench frin inside the hood and a cheater bar.

Glad to here ur keeping it. I go back and forth of selling or keeping it and am always glad I decide to keep it As my wife says a man needs a project
psyco31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Omsk178
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So after three days We finally got the Engine out! I ended up taking the engine amounts off and then suspended the engine with the cherry picker. Which allowed me to lower the entire engine down to be able to remove that last bolt! So tomorrow, I plan on swapping the fuel injector lines to the new one and get the engine ready to go to get mounted on!
Unread 11-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #10
Omsk178
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Heres a few pictures of today.

This was the hole I made

Me and my friend finally getting it out!

And had to take a picture of us finally getting it out!

And here is how she stands as of tonight! tomorrow is when the real fun begins.
Unread 11-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Omsk178
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So spent a few hours on the jeep today, and cleaned the engine bay a bit. Got the fuel line switched over to the new motor, and switched over my spark plugs, wires, and water pump. Just got the engine ready for putting in tomorrow! So hopefully everything works out!
Unread 11-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #12
Omsk178
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So after two days and currently still trying, I can't get the new motor in. Seems like the fly wheel is hitting something… I can get one bolt in but After that the flywheel seem to hit something or it won't slide in or go in any further. I have the guides on the engine to line up, with the Transmission but It seems to be making it harder than simpler.
Any suggestions?
Probably going to go for another hour before calling it a night!
Unread 11-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #13
Omsk178
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So seems we found the problem. I believe its the oil pump? its the circle part in the rest of the engine that you bolt the flywheel on to is smaller on the motor Im dropping in then the previous.. My dad pointed out that it could be because the engine came out of a Manuel transmission., and mines automatic! Ugh! Im an idiot! Anyone know if I can switch them out? or do I just need to sell this engine and buy another one.. ?
Unread 11-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #14
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Did you swap the flywheel/flex plate from your old engine? Not really understanding what part you are having issues with.

This 4.0 should work, don't panic. At least my post will serve as a bump.
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #15
ECL
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Traditionally automatics have a "flex plate"; manuals have a "flywheel". The flex plate is a stamped piece of metal that the torque converter can bolt onto. The flywheel is a thick metal piece that the pressure plate can bolt to (sandwiching the clutch).
I think you're talking about the flange on the back of the crankshaft. I'm surprised they're a different diameter. Sounds like you may need to hunt down a new flex plate from a '94. Hopefully it will bolt up to your '93 orque converter...
You may already know this, but when you put the motor back in, have the torque converter pushed back as far as it can go into the trans. You should have just enough room to get the engine pinned and a few bolts started before you have to spin the torque converter to let the bolts drop into the flex plate.
ECL is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.