JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   93 YJ door rust and water problem. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/93-yj-door-rust-water-problem-1531839/)

93YJWrangler 06-03-2013 01:06 PM

93 YJ door rust and water problem.

3 Attachment(s)
New to the forum, just bought a YJ six months ago. The window frame at door is rusted through, is there any way to repair that or do I need to replace them? Next problem, after a heavy rain when I turn a corner excessive amount of water runs out of bottom of the dash onto my feet, any suggestions?

idaholtby 06-03-2013 02:53 PM

I highly doubt this is your only rust issue, especially given your pictures. What shape (dare I ask) is your rear frame rails in? Particularly where the upper shackle mounts to the frame. In the very least new doors and windshield frame are in order, but I have doubts the remainder of this rig warrants the cost if the foundation isn't solid. I suppose anything can be fixed, but at some point it isn't worth the trouble as you will be chasing your tail with your wallet leading the way. I have seen many rescue a rusty Jeep in the past, but I wonder about the rest of your rig before you dive all in. All this...Especially given your locale.

YJdad 06-03-2013 05:34 PM

^^ agreed this area is bad for rust...also check the drain hose under the cowl in front of the windshield. Make sure it's not plugged/sealed/rotted.

93YJWrangler 06-03-2013 09:59 PM

WOW! I didn't know I was driving a rusted out P.O.S.. I am also glad you noticed my rusted out windshield frame that I had new glass installed in last month and when I last looked it was rust free also. My frame rails are also rust free and has just had a new fender and hood installed by a local body shop. There comment was we haven't seen an older wrangler in this good of shape in along time. So please don'tjudge me or my jeep.

Thanks, my daughters father

Firefyter-Emt 06-04-2013 08:40 AM

Hmm... Nice comeback to honest answers to help. Given the extent of rot at the doors, and a self admitted water leak to the floor, the overall condition was a valid assumption.

Nether the less, the door can be repaired by a good body man / welder and if the body line was to be formed by body filler alone, very simple really. What I would do, is to try to find a really trashed door that you could cut out a section of the window frame from an un-rotted area and have it weld grafted in where yours is rotted. That will give you the same outside profile at little cost. You could fix both sides with just one junk door.

idaholtby 06-04-2013 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93YJWrangler (Post 15516746)
WOW! I didn't know I was driving a rusted out P.O.S.. I am also glad you noticed my rusted out windshield frame that I had new glass installed in last month and when I last looked it was rust free also. My frame rails are also rust free and has just had a new fender and hood installed by a local body shop. There comment was we haven't seen an older wrangler in this good of shape in along time. So please don'tjudge me or my jeep.

Thanks, my daughters father

I was honestly trying to give you a quality response given the information supplied. Especially given your locale and the rust issues that are typical. I am sorry that you took this personally as it was most definitely not intended that way. Try Pirate if this forum rubs you wrong. Those guys will definitely help you out.

laybackman 06-04-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93YJWrangler (Post 15514492)
New to the forum, just bought a YJ six months ago. The window frame at door is rusted through, is there any way to repair that or do I need to replace them? Next problem, after a heavy rain when I turn a corner excessive amount of water runs out of bottom of the dash onto my feet, any suggestions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by idaholtby (Post 15519982)
I was honestly trying to give you a quality response given the information supplied. Especially given your locale and the rust issues that are typical. I am sorry that you took this personally as it was most definitely not intended that way. Try Pirate if this forum rubs you wrong. Those guys will definitely help you out.

Well I may not make you very happy either.
I will try to sugar coat my answer so I don't butt hurt your feelings with the unvarnished truth............. OK, I could not figure out a way to do that so I will do what idaholtboy did and tell you what we suspect with no bad intention on my part and not mince my words. The more you dig into those doors the more rot you will find, judging by what I see also

Your 'water feature' under your dashboard that you mentioned. You will soon lose your radio or gauges from that water from under the dash.
I hope you know that water cooled gauges or radio was not offered as a factory option.

When you drop your windshield you will most likely find the gasket between your windshield frame and tub is shot and the tub is probably rotted also.

Think about it no one wants to offend you here. If you do not want the unvarnished truth from fellow members what do you want?

BTW I second the suggestion from idaholtboy. If you want fellow members to go easy on you and only tell you what you want to hear then Pirate is just the place for you to go.......:thumbsup:

The time now is 02:04 AM.