93 YJ clutch question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 YJ clutch question

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 07-04-2001, 12:05 AM   #1
svtjones

93 YJ clutch question

I have a 93 YJ. I have heard different things about the 93 having a hydralic clutch master and slave cylinder. I know of the existance of the Master cylinder. I have heard that there is a slave cylinder and it is encased in the transfer case. I cannot find any information that supports this though. If anyone knows of a link or personal information, please advise.
Thank you.

svtjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2001, 12:37 AM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

On your particular Jeep, you basically have an internal slave cylinder. And it is located inside your bellhousing. This makes your replacement parts sorta expensive and the work a pain since you have to drop the tranny anytime you need to replace it. One more year later and you would have had an external slave cylinder. Cheaper and much easier to replace.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2001, 01:24 PM   #3
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'm having the clutch replaced on my YJ today. At a dealer no less, so you know I'm getting hosed on the price...

Anyhow, osburn is correct about the slave cylinder location. Royal PITA, which is why I'm letting someone else skin their knuckles... One item of correction however, it seems the '94s were a "transition year." Mine was built with the slave inside the bell housing, but with the ABS rear axle (part number fun - woo hoo! ). Just thought I'd share. Cheers!
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2001, 01:20 AM   #4
renegade0351

just replaced the clutch, presure plate and slave cyl. in my tranny, piece of cake. i made a transmission mount [like jc whitney sales] for my jack and it worked like a charm, out and back in in 3 days working on it after work, ok me and my brother. only cost was for the parts.
89 sahara, 4.2 , k551 weber, nutter bypass, tuffy stereo security console & under seat security drawer, 4'pro comp & 3'body, front waggy44 w/detroit & 4.88, rear waggy44 w/detroit & 4.88, teralow sye, tw's cv drive shaft {rear}, warn locking hubs, boomerrangs all around, 35x15.50 tsl-sx swampers { love that roar}.
renegade0351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2001, 12:15 PM   #5
rayray

Can the bell housing off of a newer YJ be swapped in to move the slave to the outside? Then just replace the fork and arm assemply. Seems like it would be a nice upgrade.

rayray
rayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2001, 02:30 PM   #6
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I know for a fact it can be done, as I have seen a couple rigs with this mod. I don't know if it was a kit or a custom fab though.
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.