'93 YJ Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '93 YJ Build Thread

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #1
Inch7706
1993 YJ Wrangler 

'93 YJ Build Thread

Hey there, JF. I finally decided to pull the Jeep into the barn and start getting her running again. I decided to start a build thread to document.

So first some background info. I got the jeep as my first car back in 2005 as my 17th birthday present from my parents. Its a 1993 Sahara Edition, 4.0L.

In the summer of 2009 I added a 2" RC lift, some 31" tires, and decided to paint.

I have since gotten a degree in Mechanical Engineering from The Ohio State University, moved to the greater Toledo area for a job, and purchased a VW. I needed a new car to get me around as I started a new job and the Jeep wasn't cut out for the commute day in and day out. So I parked the Jeep behind the barn (couldn't bear to sell it) and she has been sitting there for about a year and a half.

So now here we are. The serpentine belt was seized up so I removed it and found my alternator was frozen. Removed that, charged the battery, and drove it into the barn where she sits now. As of now I don't plan on going crazy (at least until the bug hits). Initial things are to clean up the interior and the engine bay, replace all the fluids, check (likely fix) all the brakes and steering components, and then dive into rust maintenance.

I'm hoping to update this thread as I work my way through. I'll be looking to you, the JF community, for help and knowledge as I tackle my way through this project.

'93 OJ YJ. 2.5" RC lift. Currently going SOA with an 8.8 swap.
Inch7706 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
khwrx
1992 YJ Wrangler 

subbed get to it !
khwrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
Inch7706
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So I've got two big things going on now. Rust repair, and SOA. Beyond that I'm also doing the 8.8 swap and regearing two axles.

So rust first off. Frame and Body both need some TLC. Rear passenger spring mount needs major overhaul. Other spots around the tub. I know the main deal about this though; grind rot, cut new pieces, patch replacement, fishplates on top, and POR15 final. Will probably be doing this as I wait for parts elsewhere.
Rear passenger shackle mount

Rear passenger spring mount

Drivers floor board (this is why I love my carpet)

Rear driver spring mount

Now SOA! I've been reading as much as I could about it. I already have a 2" RC lift, and I'll be keeping those springs. With the 8.8 going in I need spring mounts, shock mounts, U-bolt plates, and U-bolts. MORE 98500 8.8 Axle Swap Kit contains all this. For my Dana 30 in front I'm getting MORE 98103 Leaf Spring Mounts. Do I need new lower shock mounts or spring plates? I'm planning on keeping all my upper shock mounts stock. $200 so far

I already ordered the JB4x4.com SOA steering bracket to take care of highsteer. Don't know exactly what I need to change about the drag link but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. $160 so far

Shocks I haven't scoped out, because I'm waiting to see what my geometry looks like. Budgeted ~$200 for this.

I'm thinking about a Tom Woods driveshaft SYE kit. From what I understand, this is will come with the necessary parts to do the SYE from the transfer case, as well as the extended CV driveshaft. ~$400 with core return, ~$500 without

Stainless steel brake extensions $80 for front. (don't know what I need for rear yet with the new 8.8).

So for SOA right now (excluding axle) I'm ~$1200, Why does this seem low?

I'm picking up the 8.8 tomorrow off of CL. Guy bought all new brakes (pads rotors calipers), axle seals, and bearings. Wanted to get rid of it all for $300! Its geared to 3.73 right now, but I plan to go to 4.56. Which brings me to my next set of questions. I want to regear both the 8.8 and D30 to 4.56, do either of these need to be reverse? Like if I buy regular gears will they not fit if its supposed to be reverse? I've scoped out both gear sets; Here (D30) and Here (8.8) are these good? ~$300 for gears (haven't factored in the install kits yet either)

So now my total comes up to ~$1800 for parts I need. I'm expecting (and prepared for) this number to go up.

Anyways, my main questions right now are if I NEED to extend the shock mounts, and if I'm looking at the right gears. TIA.

Unread 01-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #4
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inch7706 View Post
So I've got two big things going on now. Rust repair, and SOA. Beyond that I'm also doing the 8.8 swap and regearing two axles.

So rust first off. Frame and Body both need some TLC. Rear passenger spring mount needs major overhaul. Other spots around the tub. I know the main deal about this though; grind rot, cut new pieces, patch replacement, fishplates on top, and POR15 final. Will probably be doing this as I wait for parts elsewhere.
Rear passenger shackle mount

Rear passenger spring mount

Drivers floor board (this is why I love my carpet)

Rear driver spring mount

Now SOA! I've been reading as much as I could about it. I already have a 2" RC lift, and I'll be keeping those springs. With the 8.8 going in I need spring mounts, shock mounts, U-bolt plates, and U-bolts. MORE 98500 8.8 Axle Swap Kit contains all this. For my Dana 30 in front I'm getting MORE 98103 Leaf Spring Mounts. Do I need new lower shock mounts or spring plates? I'm planning on keeping all my upper shock mounts stock. $200 so far

I already ordered the JB4x4.com SOA steering bracket to take care of highsteer. Don't know exactly what I need to change about the drag link but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. $160 so far

Shocks I haven't scoped out, because I'm waiting to see what my geometry looks like. Budgeted ~$200 for this.

I'm thinking about a Tom Woods driveshaft SYE kit. From what I understand, this is will come with the necessary parts to do the SYE from the transfer case, as well as the extended CV driveshaft. ~$400 with core return, ~$500 without

Stainless steel brake extensions $80 for front. (don't know what I need for rear yet with the new 8.8).

So for SOA right now (excluding axle) I'm ~$1200, Why does this seem low?

I'm picking up the 8.8 tomorrow off of CL. Guy bought all new brakes (pads rotors calipers), axle seals, and bearings. Wanted to get rid of it all for $300! Its geared to 3.73 right now, but I plan to go to 4.56. Which brings me to my next set of questions. I want to regear both the 8.8 and D30 to 4.56, do either of these need to be reverse? Like if I buy regular gears will they not fit if its supposed to be reverse? I've scoped out both gear sets; Here (D30) and Here (8.8) are these good? ~$300 for gears (haven't factored in the install kits yet either)

So now my total comes up to ~$1800 for parts I need. I'm expecting (and prepared for) this number to go up.

Anyways, my main questions right now are if I NEED to extend the shock mounts, and if I'm looking at the right gears. TIA.
for your front dana you will want this gear set not what you posted you need reverse cut gears for your High Pinion front.http://www.race-mart.com/G2_Axle-Gea...2032-456R.html
what you have listed for your 8.8 is correct.
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
Inch7706
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyj View Post
for your front dana you will want this gear set not what you posted you need reverse cut gears for your High Pinion front.http://www.race-mart.com/G2_Axle-Gea...2032-456R.html
what you have listed for your 8.8 is correct.
Alright so I need reverse gears, Check. Will I need a new carrier to fit 4.56 gears on the D30? Also I'm looking at this install kit. Any thoughts on quality? The price is right for me on this, but I also want it to last. I'm not sure of the quality of the bearings... I'd be buying the same install kit for the 8.8 as well.

Unread 01-27-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Inch7706
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I did some work this weekend. Took a lot longer than I thought to get this done.

Ground a few bolts, broke a few more. Also I had to file off the hose clamps on the filler and vent hoses bc I couldn't get a wrench on them.

Nice hole to patch up

This hole is nasty. I cut out some of the bad so I could get my hand in there, there are some MAJOR chunks of steel in here. Makes me wonder about where it all came from...

Anyone know the purpose of this plate? Its above the rear passenger spring.

Also got this

With some nasty gouges from the guy who ripped it all apart.

Unread 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #7
skyj
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inch7706 View Post

Alright so I need reverse gears, Check. Will I need a new carrier to fit 4.56 gears on the D30? Also I'm looking at this install kit. Any thoughts on quality? The price is right for me on this, but I also want it to last. I'm not sure of the quality of the bearings... I'd be buying the same install kit for the 8.8 as well.
Yes you will need a new carrier for your 4.56 gears, but not for the 8.8 there is no carrier break for them. Those install kits should do the trick.
Oh and that plate is where your bumpstop used to reside.
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #8
Jeeper4life88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good! its got some rust though, don't you hate living in the salty states!

2004 Jeep Liberty- BFG A/T's and some skid's and tow hooks, otherwise pretty much stock.
Jeeper4life88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2013, 05:49 AM   #9
responder
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The plate is where the bumpstop used to reside? I am in the process of rebuilding my 94 YJ and had the exact same question. Were they just glued on? Makes sense as I have the front stops unboldted but never did see any on the rear!

Inch7706, I have subscribed to your thread. A pile of work, but it will be worth it in the end!
responder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.