93 YJ brake master cylinder leakage.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 YJ brake master cylinder leakage..

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Alloy USA and Posi-Lok Cable Axle Disconnect Kits Dana 30 Spartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 06-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #1
Gimpy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 YJ brake master cylinder leakage..

Hello to all. On my 93 YJ, of which I have just replaced the brake master cylinder because it was having leakage from the two top caps/covers. I did the bench bleed on the new brake master cylinder and did a proper bleed starting from farthest point away from brake master cylinder and working my way to the closest last. On this new brake master cylinder, it is having the same leakage issue as the old one. Leaking from the caps/covers. I understand that it may just be a defective part, but I want to say there is another underlying problem that is causing this. tracing the system back, the next thing to check would be the brake booster? (yup that was a question) how do I go about testing or checking said booster? As I am not quite the richest guy in the world and it will take me a bit to save up for a new brake booster. Any thoughts, input or ideas are all welcomed. I thank everyone for the time it took to read this and the effort put forth for answers.

Gimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I searched some threads and found one in which the OP noted leakage on the outside of his Brake Master Cylinder lid. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/b...erned-1354107/
While there was no apparent resolution to his thread, it is interesting. The bulk of the thread was input for the OP to seek out help from a shop. We all recognize the importance of appropriate safety equipment, and it sounds like your process of installing/bleeding was properly done. While I do not have an answer for you, there is bound to be someone who will see this and will chime in with a solution rather than an admonishment to go to a shop, or to stay off the road, which I am sure you have considered, and are doing.
In the meantime, I'll keep looking for other threads via the advanced search option and let you know. Likely there is someone on here who will know exactly what this means, and yes, it could be a brake booster issue, I just don't know this myself.
Welcome to the forum.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #3
93TRJeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine did this. It turned out that rust buildup on the outer edge of the master cylinder was causing the cap gasket to not seat right in some places. I eventually replaced the master when I did the dual diaphragm booster.
- Chris
93TRJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 03:10 PM   #4
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

OP is experiencing this with New MC, still happening after replacing the old MC.

So Gimpy--how is your pedal? Do the brakes feel fine, work fine etc?

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Dazzle
1994 YJ Wrangler 

i really think that the remanufactured master cylinders arent worth a darn. The cover gaskets always have leaked in my experience with remans. I had this problem on my CJ and YJ. Went to napa and got a new one for 3 times as much as a reman one and no cover leaks. i suppose you could mill the sealing surface smooth if you have the tools but when it comes to MC's new in my opinion is best. Especially for something as critical as brakes.
Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
brk913
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I agree with Dazzle's opinion of cheap reman MCs, I replaced mine with a reman last year and had immediate leaks from the cheap cover and gasket. Took it off and used the cover and gasket from my old one, instant fix....
brk913 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake cylinder , leak

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.