93 YJ Anti-Lock Brake ABS Removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 YJ Anti-Lock Brake ABS Removal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 11-11-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
leviathan
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 YJ Anti-Lock Brake ABS Removal

Greetings,

I recently picked up a 1993 YJ Wrangler from a friend of mine. It runs good enough but all the brake lines are rusted and the flex hoses are dry rotted. So I'll be replacing most, if not all of the brake system.

That being said, I've thought about removing the ABS system. I figure it's one less point of failure and have never been a fan of ABS. Any thoughts on the subject would be great, I'd like to get this bugger running for the winter...so I can use my garage ;-).

Thought about the disc conversion as well but seems that would require quite a bit more work and cash and perhaps could just as easily be done at a later date.

Thanks in advance.

leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
Super D
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Somebody else can correct me if i'm wrong. But i'm pretty darn sure' 93 YJ's did not come with ABS brakes.
Super D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:10 PM   #3
grnjp88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super D View Post
Somebody else can correct me if i'm wrong. But i'm pretty darn sure' 93 YJ's did not come with ABS brakes.
I believe it was offered as optional equipment.
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #4
leviathan
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Indeed, it was optional, his parents probably made him get it for that extra bit of safety.
Unread 11-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #5
chicalibro3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

they definitely have power brakes, but i'm not sure they all came with ABS. Do you know if you definitely have ABS?
chicalibro3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine does not have ABS either.
Not claiming to know alot about ABS but I would think if you swapped the master cylinder from a non ABS Jeep you would eliminate it. Maybe someone else could chime in on this.
Not sure if you would have to do something with the computer though.
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Raloma
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine definately had ABS
Raloma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is a '93 Sahara and it has ABS. I even had to get some spare D35 shafts out of a GC with ABS because they are 1/2" longer. If you don't want to fool with the ABS you can simply unplug the module under the seat or from the pump (I think) and if you want remove all the ABS lines going to the wheels. If you do this you will want take the center cluster out and pull the ABS bulb because it will stay light all the time. I had mine unplugged for a little bit, but hooked it up just because.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2009, 09:35 PM   #9
leviathan
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I'm sure it has ABS. And if possible what I'm looking for is;

What parts need to be changed to remove the ABS altogether?
Unread 03-05-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
jediapprentice

bringing this thread back from the dead, i have a 93 with ABS and i am interested in what is involved to remove ABS system.
jediapprentice is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.