93 YJ on 36" swampers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 YJ on 36" swampers

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-24-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
gtome

93 YJ on 36" swampers

I tried posting this in the buying section, but getting no advice there.... so I thought I would ask here. I am going to look at this Saturday am, so I couldnt be much more patient. My original post read as this:

Just looking for some advice. I have read about how risky it is to run anything larger than 33's on stock axles. I have found a pretty nice 93 auto that is riding on 36" swampers. He bought it that way and thinks the axles are stock (but doesnt really know). He also never took it off roading, but did use it to go shark fishing on the beach. Also no idea if it has been re-gear'd and doesnt know how it is lifted. He has paid to keep it maintained and looks pretty rust free from the pics.
Just wondering what everyone here thinks. Could the big tires weaken the axles (if they are stock)? I am going to study and memorize the different rears to help me identify them when I go. But obviously cant check the gears to see if they are stock. Anything else I should look for when inspecting this thing? Here are the pics I have:

gtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
wrangler76
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It looks like a nice YJ.... I don't think I'd be happy to run 36's with stock gears and it looks like you might have some significant clearance issues. It might be a good purchase then swap the 36's for 33's.... It's always hard to give really good advice on these jeep purchase questions without seeing the jeep in person.
wrangler76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
gtome

Yeah I know its really tough to tell from pics, and really I was just looking for what to look out for. I restore cars for a living and I can tell all the normal stuff. I was more curious of the ill affects of the large tires.

And I was thinking exactly the same thing. When the tires wear out (if they arent already) putting some 33's in place of the 36's. Maybe even bringing it back down a bit, I really like the LCOG theme. It will have at least tube fenders too at some point, so clearance really isnt an issue im too worried about.
Unread 06-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I don't think it could be taken offroad much that way, and it doesn't look as though it has been. I would guess it to be stock axles as pavement princess types usually don't change those. It is possible to tell if its been regeared, you have to lift up the back of the Jeep and turn one wheel and count the driveshaft rotations, something like that. I'm sure somebody here knows the exact procedure. You can see there is only minimal tire clearance there, and in fact in the one picture showing the tire close up, you can see that it has been rubbing the flare.

91 Yj Renegade, lifted, built 4.0L, 33's etc
Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
gtome

Yeah, I guess I have read about counting the axle rotation vs the driveshaft rotation to get the gearing. I dont know how accurate it would be, but I guess it doesnt really matter that much to me. I wouldnt have it long before I put 33's on it.

Suppose that would be a 4" lift (yeah, he doesnt know that either)?? Doesnt look to me by this larger pic to have a body lift.
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

the axle rotation to drive shaft rotation is actaully really accurate. I don't think it's a 4" lift if it clears 36's. There is no body lift and isn't cut. get under it and look around for part numbers on the springs and google it. maybe it has a SOA?

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Please fill out your profile, It helps us help you!!!
ImpactFabWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:24 PM   #7
gtome

brian_nichols: Good call!! Didnt even think to check that in these pics. SOA it is.
So knowing it is SOA with the 36's, anything else I should be on the lookout for when I go look at this in the am? He wants $4500 for it, and from what I can see, $3500 sounds more reasonable.
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #8
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

betcha the steering is jacked up on it and need to be done of its a pavement princess to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
gtome

Can you be more specific? Steering box? Tie rods? ALL of it??!! I was thinkin about driveline angles and such.... didnt think much about the steering
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #10
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

get a picture lower to the ground of the rear, then we can verify lift and what rear it has an go from there.

the above procedure will be the easiest way to tell what gears you have, an it really isnt that hard

if it accelerates like a freight train then it might just have stock gears ( 3:73's or 3:37's im sure someone can verify for your jeep or you can look up the stock specs in the f&q an find out yourself), and regardless of what examples you find of what the stock diffs can and can't handle tire size wise just remember, they were designed to only have to handle a 28" tire. if its a dana 35 in the rear, it may be fine but you are without a doubt seriously pushing it.

considering it looks like it has a soa with stock leafs at my best guess from your pics, im sure one the PO's had the jeepbility to throw a dana44, chevy 10 bolt, or sterling rear in it. but your gonna have to get pics for us to be able to tell.

if its has 4:10's in any kind of beefier housing then it should be good to go
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #11
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would like to see how the steering is set-up. a lot of people do SOA and just neglect the steering

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Unread 06-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #12
SteveJcoYJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

see if the tie rod ends were flipped to the top of the knuckle, see that it has a real dropped pitman arm (not one of those cut in half and weld back together longer jobs) and look at the angle of the rear drive shaft, does it have a transfercase drop or a slip yoke eleminator installed on it

it costs money and takes knowledge to do a good soa job
SteveJcoYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #13
gtome

Ok, I will get some pics with my cell in the am. My Droid takes pretty good ones. Then Post them up here for all to see. SO I want pics of the whole front steering (tie rods, pitman, etc..) and suspention, the rear drive shaft and angle, and a pic of each diff for verifiaction. Anything else?
Unread 06-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #14
gtome

Boo! Turns out the guy had to work and I could go look at it. Will have to try again later in the week
Unread 06-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #15
ImpactFabWorks
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtome View Post
Boo! Turns out the guy had to work and I could go look at it. Will have to try again later in the week
HAHAAHA stupid people with jobs screwing up this country

www.Impact-FabWorks.com

Impact-FabWorks Facebook

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.