93 wrangler vibration after lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 wrangler vibration after lift

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-23-2013, 04:38 AM   #1
Rjmklm
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 wrangler vibration after lift

Hello all, great site, thanks to all for their questions and all the answers

I just bought a 93 wrangler, 6 cyl, 5 speed worth 31 tires. I put in a 2.5 rough country lift. After the lift, it felt like it was binding and difficult to get up to speed in any gear. Called rough country (RC) they suggested lowering the transfer case 1/4 inch. I did and it helped and I had the front aligned. But, I still have a shimmy in the transmission when I start in 1st gear, a vibration in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears during accel and deceleration. If the clutch is pushed in or put into netural, the vibration disappears.

Is this a u-joint, driveshaft or clutch problem

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Rjmklm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:43 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

do search really quick for lift vibe and check out a few threads. i think tons of people had the same trouble but i don't remember what the usual trouble is.
Unread 07-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
estrunk

I had the same issue on my 95 YJ after installing the same lift. I'm guessing that you got closer to 3" of lift. If that happened you will need to install a slip Yolk Eliminator and new rear drive shaft. As soon as I did this the vibration stopped.
estrunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
Rjmklm
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Where did you buy the yoke and shaft
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Search SYE and everything about it will pop up.
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Go to Tom Woods home page and halfway down right side grey banner labeled Technical Information and Sponsors. Open that and start reading. It has more than you want to know about drive shafts and pinion angles.

Pay close attention to two pictures of the drive shady angles.

Without an SYE and double cardon joint shaft your pinion angle is level with the T-Case. With your lift kit I bet you had wedges on the rear springs which have you pinion angle up.

Get a magnetic angle finder at a hardware store and figure out what you have and then go from there.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #7
kahanabob
1992 YJ Wrangler 

post a pic of your driveline angles if you can. 1/4" TC drop is not much, 1" is standard. did you install any shims on the rearend?
kahanabob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Before you get the SYE check your drive shaft angles. Your transfer case yoke and rear pinion yoke angles should be the same. You can correct that with shims. (get steel ones not aluminum if you need them) Also double check to make sure your yokes on the driveshaft are timed correctly (in line with each other. not sure how else to describe that) That can cause vibrations as well.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #9
Rjmklm
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I spoke with Eric at SBC today, he gave great advice and I made all the suggested checks. Then I lowered the t/c to a total of 1/2 inch and the yoke is back in the original position. Test drive was perfect. Thanks to all that posted.
Regards, Rod

Looks like SBC will be my vendor in the near future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.