93 wrangler nv3550 swap question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 wrangler nv3550 swap question

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 09-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
Cory1980
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 wrangler nv3550 swap question

so i bought my first jeep a few months back. a 93 wrangler I6 with a 5speed. after 3 days of riding in it with a big smile on my face the trans blew a part.... now for the really bad stuff. it turns out that the previous owner put a peugeot in it. yes im sure. i asked questions, looked up numbers and looked at pics. so i get in the market for the right trans that should be in my jeep and DANG!!! they are hard to find and when you do find one the price...... anyways so i start looking into going to the nv3550. there is a local junk yard that may have one with the t-case out of a 2001 cherokee for a good price. i plan on going to take a look at it in the next couple of days. from everything i have read it should be as close to a bolt in as you can get. my question is is there anything that i should be worried about doing this swap? anything that yall know will help alot. again this is my first jeep/jeep part swaping. i know my way around tools and can do a good hack job at welding ;-) . i just need to know if this is something i should really look into. thanks in advance!

Cory

Cory1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
Cory1980
1993 YJ Wrangler 

any info would be great.
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:14 AM   #3
Jeepsr4me

Post pics of the bad trans. I am pretty sure the drive shafts are not same length when going from the ba10 to ax15
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'd have to ask if you're absolutely sure it's a BA and then ask for pics as well based on this from Novak.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novak Conversions
The Jeep BA10/5 is only found against the AMC 258 I6. It has a unique front bolt pattern that is not a match to any other Jeep bellhousing or transmission.
Here's some more info on the BA10, the AX-15, and the NV3550.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Cory1980
1993 YJ Wrangler 

here is the trans and motor.

forumrunnerimage.jpg
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
Cory1980
1993 YJ Wrangler 

forumrunnerimage.jpg
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Don't know about the BA but the only modifications I did when I installed my nv3550 was to the floor pan and the trans shifter bracket. I used the same throw out bearing and all.
()_) ()_)-o-()_)
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #8
czjeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You'll need to re-clock the t-case if the setup came from an XJ. Re-drill the holes in the trans.
Armed Forces Jeeps Member #125
Red Jeep Club Member #251

In the Portland/Vancouver area? Check 'em out! Piston's Wild Motorsports Club

Click here for 2.5L AX5 to AX15 swap
czjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Cory1980
1993 YJ Wrangler 

the setup im looking into is from a 01 cherokee. if i get everything from bellhousing to tcase is there anything i need to be aware of like electrical/computer stuff? from what all i read up on my jeep is supposed to have the ax15. so the nv3550 should be bolt in so to say right?
Unread 09-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

That's certainly a BA10.

I think you'll basically bolt up.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
Cory1980
1993 YJ Wrangler 

kool. im going to go and look at it this weekend. maybe its all there so i can get my jeep back on the road. im aboit to give up on finding me a jeep replacment and go chevy. i can find them almost everywhere.....
Unread 09-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
Doch80
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It'll basically (should) bolt up but you will have to make a few modifications. The opening in the trans tunnel on your floor board will need to be opened up b/c the shifter is positioned further back and you'll need the clearance. You'll also need to make another cover to compensate for the larger opening. Not a big deal as everything you need is at Lowes or Home Depot.

You'll also need to figure out what to do about the transfer case shifter. I bought a bracket that bolts to the TC at the tranny mount. You'll also need to modify your TC shift linkage possibly. Again not a big deal. Totally worth it in my opinion
()_) ()_)-o-()_)
Doch80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 08:00 PM   #13
Cory1980
1993 YJ Wrangler 

well my luck is no good like always. the trans is gone oit of the jeep i was looking at. however a buddy of mine has two 80's chevy that he will sell me so i will just do a conversion. one is a 4 speed the other is auto. which is going to be my better choice? as far as i can tell everything else is about the same.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.