93 Wrangler mirror relocation brackets, need help please! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 Wrangler mirror relocation brackets, need help please!

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #1
dkirkley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

93 Wrangler mirror relocation brackets, need help please!

Hey guys I'm installing the rugged ridge relocation brackets and new mirrors I've got but I can't get the windshield hinge bolts out. I've got the T40 torx bolts free (thank god, it was a PITA) but now they only spin.

Is there a nut on the other end somewhere in the dash? I couldn't find any write ups

dkirkley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
dkirkley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

image-671710683.jpg

image-3367703596.jpg

I think the pics uploaded right.
Unread 01-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There's nuts covered in goop inside there. Good luck
Unread 01-19-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
jjlaw72
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm actually in the middle of doing this now....ill try to get pics for you....I had the brackets for 6 months and I'm just now doing it
jjlaw72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:20 PM   #5
jjlaw72
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I tried to get my hand in back of the dash,after I broke my t40 socket but I couldn't reach..so I gave up for a few months,than a friend gave me some infinitys for the front to replace my stockers,so now was the timeto pull the dash and do it all at one time,I have an ac model so I had a bit more,but I am running my xm,cb,amp and soundbar wires beter mounting the infinitys,installing the mirror brackets and running the wires for the windshield lights all at once

forumrunner_20130119_161707.jpg

forumrunner_20130119_161743.jpg

forumrunner_20130119_161821.jpg

forumrunner_20130119_161913.jpg

forumrunner_20130119_161954.jpg
forumrunner_20130119_161847.jpg  
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
jjlaw72
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't have any goop on,at or around my bolts
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
jeepreaper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did this little job myself and had to pull the dash out as others did...there are nuts on the ones that are spinning on ya.

Another fun fact...once i done this and relocated the mirrors...the passenger mirror became totally useless..i eventually put the mirrors back on my doors. The brackets are still there doing nothing. Good luck.
jeepreaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
dkirkley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Those pics do help out a bit. I don't have ac in mine. I really am not up to pulling the dash right now. I'm gonna put it off and hope I can get some more advice in this thread too.

I did get my plugs, wires, cap and rotor swapped out though. So today wasnt a complete loss.

Ill probably get some bolts to replace those dang torx bolts while I'm doing the brackets too. Near stripped them trying to get them out.
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:39 PM   #9
dkirkley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepreaper
I did this little job myself and had to pull the dash out as others did...there are nuts on the ones that are spinning on ya.

Another fun fact...once i done this and relocated the mirrors...the passenger mirror became totally useless..i eventually put the mirrors back on my doors. The brackets are still there doing nothing. Good luck.
Thanks for the knowledge. I haven't had a pass side mirror since I bought my YJ 3 years ago anyway lol it was broken off. I have to admit the only reason I want these mirrors on is for looks and symmetry. It looks so gross only having one mirror
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got the relocation brackets as well and want to put them. I know the passenger mirror will be useless but just want to be legal with my doors off. My torx bolts just spin too. Any way to get the nuts off without pulling the dash? What a pain....
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
jjlaw72
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I too know they will be useless but I'm not gona remove the ones on my doors,ill have an extra set to put on when I remove the doors in the summer
forumrunner_20130119_164637.jpg  
Unread 01-19-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
dkirkley
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhohthe50
I got the relocation brackets as well and want to put them. I know the passenger mirror will be useless but just want to be legal with my doors off. My torx bolts just spin too. Any way to get the nuts off without pulling the dash? What a pain....
I looked for any law here in New Mexico that requires me to have mirrors but couldn't find anything. Whenever I've got my doors off I don't have any mirrors except my rear view. Either it's not illegal or the cops just don't care.

And I too would like to know a way to get it done without pulling the dash. I originally thought these brackets would take like 5-10 minutes to install but now....
Unread 01-19-2013, 09:36 PM   #13
jeepreaper
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Its not as bad as it sounds. The dash doesnt get removed...its just pulled out enough to allow you access to the nuts. You do have to lay down the windshield but its not to bad. Good time to replace your cowl seal if need be. I also used this opportunity to replace torx head bolts with stainless hex head bolts...so much easier to work with.

I did have one of the torx head bolts strip out on me there at the windshield where the roll bar attaches. That was a real mother to remove.
jeepreaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.