93 wrangler Just bought - towed home transmission rebuild questions.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 wrangler Just bought - towed home transmission rebuild questions..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 08-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
dvr6
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 wrangler Just bought - towed home transmission rebuild questions..

Hello I just bought a 93 yj - 4 cyl manual transmission. Engine runs great.

Cannot get into any gears.

Engine off I can cycle through all of the gears. If I put it in gear with the engine off and then start it jumps ahead. With engine running, 1st 3rd 4th and 5th grind when trying to engage. Cant find 2nd easily when running but can with engine off. Clutch fluid in resovoir looks to be full.

Does this sound like master/slave cylinders or a total transmission rebuild? Any write ups on how to drop the transmission and rebuild?

dvr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
dennisicb
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like a clutch related issue to me.
dennisicb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
jamesmc
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisicb View Post
It sounds like a clutch related issue to me.
I agree.

Can you feel resistance on the clutch pedel when you press it down?

Before you dive in and rip the transmission off to get at the clutch, make sure that the clutch hydraulic circuit doesn't need bleeding and appears to be functioning as it should.
jamesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #4
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Its a clutch prob no doubt. I'll bet the transmission itself is actually just fine. You need to look into the hydraulic master cylinder and slave cylinder tho. Try draining the fluid and replacing it followed with a thorough bleeding. If that is no good, then I would replace the master and slave. Should be less than $200 to do that, and you end up with a "new" feeling clutch.
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
dvr6
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I can feel some resistance in the pedal but not much. Fluid in the resovoir is full and it looks pretty clear. Where is the bleed valve?
Unread 08-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #6
seraph_rapture
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Should be sticking out of the transmission on the passenger side.
seraph_rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Adam013085

Had the same problem as you, but it wasnt in a YJ. I ended up needing a new clutch, master and slave cylinder.
Adam013085 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:23 AM   #8
dvr6
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok I went home for lunch and bled the system. No change. The clutch pedal was not soft before or after bleeding so I'm not sure what to think. It felt normal - slightly firm all the way to the floor. When I push it halfway down it feels firm and does not get soft - so its holding pressure. Fluid in master reservoir is full.

I went ahead and bought a new master cylinder at napa and will change it out this afternoon hoping to get lucky. The slave is internal and the bleed line was clean and easy to open so I'm guessing it has been changed in the past.

Napa had a clutch kit which included the internal slave so I'm thinking that may be next if the master doesn’t solve the problem? Any ideas or suggestions based on this new info?

Also wondering if low transmission or transfer case fluid could cause this problem. I have not checked the levels of those yet.
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
dvr6
1993 YJ Wrangler 

good information... Just talked with the previous owner and he said shifting was good before except for 2nd, very sticky.

Problem started when he was leaving his driveway and had the emergency brake engaged and forgot. Backed out in reverse with the emergency brake on and heard a pop. After that only got grinding when trying to get it in gear. Pushed it back up into driveway and never tried to run it after that. I bought it 5 weeks later.
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:57 AM   #10
bigjake123
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Just like a PO to screw everything up Good luck man
bigjake123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:06 PM   #11
Adam013085

Yeah, that would have been nice information to have before you bought the jeep. O well, I am sure you will find out the issue. Hopefully it doesnt kill the wallet
Adam013085 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:23 PM   #12
dvr6
1993 YJ Wrangler 

no problems with the PO he is stand up. Jeep was absolutely priced fair...
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #13
Guntar
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Could be transmission. Mine stopped going into gear. Went in "mostly" fine in the driveway when not running. Swapped in transmission and did a clutch job at the same time.

P.S. mine did have more crap going on but basically this was it.

Doug
Guntar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fortunately you can buy and replace every part on these tranies. I'm betting on internal damage, but its all owner-fixable. Nope, the fluid or oil wouldn't do that. I would drain it and see if there's any chunks in it. I'm betting the actual parts is less than $100, but a full rebuild kit for the trans is about $350 last I heard.
Unread 08-02-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
dvr6
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Well I'll change the master cyl this afternoon but at this point I'm pretty sure it's a waste of time.

Next I'll drop the transmission - problem is - when I get into it I wont know what needs to be changed and what doesn't. Hopefully the damaged parts are obvious.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.