93 Wrangler electrical issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 Wrangler electrical issues

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 02-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
jspare

93 Wrangler electrical issues

Hello,

I was proud of myself this past weekend i bought my first Jeep but it needs some good old loving.

My issue right now is i keep blowing fuse #8 (ignition and horn... It controls my speedometer, gas gage, rpm and all other gages). The unfortunate part to this is they've put an aftermarket radio and cb radio. I took the cb radio out last night which looks like it was connected correctly. Does anyone have any suggestions so i don't spend countless hours on this.

PS my dashboard lights don't work either if that helps

jspare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You put you vehicle info in the post, please fill out the profile as much as you can. Especially any major mods.
So with the CB/Radio combo you aren't blowing fuse #8?

Dashboard lights is usually the dimmer switch but it is possible to have blown bulbs. Here is a couple links for the bulbs:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...ite-up-625886/

If the bulbs are good then pull the dimmer switch, clean/replace as necessary.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
jspare

I am blowing the fuse. The cb radio is no longer connected
Unread 02-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #4
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The two fuses associated with the radio are #16 (10amp) and #7 (20 amp). I would not think the radio should be blowing #8, but anything is possible with our rigs and electrical systems. The PO may have wired the radio wrong as well. I would disconnect the radio first and then if that doesnt work check all wiring from behind inst cluster to fuse box and make sure there are no shorts or water damage. Good luck!
Unread 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

The PO did the most "interesting" radio installation I've ever seen. Also, I kept blowing that same fuse. I ended up tearing everything that had to do with the radio out, and reinstalled it. No problems now. However, if it is pouring cats and dogs and I'm wheeling while bouncing around hard, I'll blow that fuse. Got any pictures of your rig?
Unread 02-13-2013, 04:25 PM   #6
Red93yj
2011 JK Wrangler 

You probably have water getting in or a short, so look for cut wires touching connectors , and water.
Red93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #7
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx View Post
The PO did the most "interesting" radio installation I've ever seen. Also, I kept blowing that same fuse. I ended up tearing everything that had to do with the radio out, and reinstalled it. No problems now. However, if it is pouring cats and dogs and I'm wheeling while bouncing around hard, I'll blow that fuse. Got any pictures of your rig?
This is the only one I have on the computer at work. I dont have a "smart" phone sorry, but here ya go
myjeep.jpg  
Unread 02-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #8
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, way better paint than mine. But funny thing, exact same model. Wish I had your factory steps.
269220_10150858119951642_1781386161_n.jpg  
Unread 02-14-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
jspare

I unplugged the radio to find out that's not my problem. So i started paying closer attention. When I'm in reverse and shift back to neutral I blow the fuse. It does appear that i have aftermarket brake lights which lack reverse lights but any clue as to where to start
Unread 02-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I know, I know! It's your reverse switch on the tcase or the wiring going to it! The wiring goes down below the battery tray along the firewall to the tub. There is a 6 way connector and wires that can get too close to the exhaust and burn.
Unread 02-14-2013, 01:17 PM   #11
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would have never came up with that off the bat. You sir are clearly better than I.
Unread 02-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Experience......it happened to me!
Unread 02-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
ziebartrob
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxysouthtx View Post
Wow, way better paint than mine. But funny thing, exact same model. Wish I had your factory steps.
Thanks, but I'll trade ya
That is a nice rig! Mine is pretty much bone stock except for tires, soft top and rims. Eventually I wanna lift her a couple of inches, and will probably ditch the fact flares and boards and go with a little bit bigger tires and differnent rims. I just hate to mess with her since she was in such good shape when I got her. I like the palm trees that come with yours too
Unread 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #14
jspare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
I know, I know! It's your reverse switch on the tcase or the wiring going to it! The wiring goes down below the battery tray along the firewall to the tub. There is a 6 way connector and wires that can get too close to the exhaust and burn.
I'll give it a look tomorrow after work, have to take the old lady out tonight. That helps a lot though thank you.
Unread 02-14-2013, 02:19 PM   #15
sxysouthtx
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziebartrob View Post
Thanks, but I'll trade ya
That is a nice rig! Mine is pretty much bone stock except for tires, soft top and rims. Eventually I wanna lift her a couple of inches, and will probably ditch the fact flares and boards and go with a little bit bigger tires and differnent rims. I just hate to mess with her since she was in such good shape when I got her. I like the palm trees that come with yours too
Thanks man. That picture was when I was living back where I call home. Padre Island, TX. Living in Kentucky is alright I suppose. But there's no shark fishing, surfing, kayaking (wave type), snorkeling... etc. If you ever decide to ditch those steps I would more than happy to take them. haha. I'd say lift her. I went with Rough Country. It's already started to sag in the front, but the ride is softer than what most people say. I wish I had a stock YJ and some extra cash to start over with.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.