93 wrangler drive line angle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 wrangler drive line angle

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-05-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Rjmklm
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 wrangler drive line angle

I just put a 2.5 lift in my 93 6cyl 5 speed and I needed to lower the t\c about 3\4 inch to remove vibration in the gears. I measured the driveline angle and it is 18 degrees. Is it correct?

Any responses will be appreciated.

Rjmklm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:19 AM   #2
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Ok...I'll take a stab at this...

Are you sure that the vibration is due to the driveshaft angle? Are all your U-joints front and rear good? Motor mounts good? Transmission mount? Any other looseness in your drivetrain? If so, fix those problems first.

I'm not a big fan of TC drops. It's seems counterproductive to raise the Jeep for ground clearance, and then drop the TC to reduce ground clearance. I think of them as a temporary fix until an SYE can be installed. Unless, it's just a street rod or mall crawler, and you don't mind the lower ground clearance.

That being said, just buy some longer bolts and buy or make 3/4" spacers. There's no need to buy an expensive TC drop kit, IMO. Some pipe or tubing cut to the right length would work fine as a spacer. You might be able to find some 3/4" long pipe nipples. I've found that Tractor Supply has the best selection of bolts in my area. It won't cost much or take much time to try this fix...

A better solution over dropping the TC is a 1" body lift and 1" motor mount lift. This also gives you more clearance for your oil pan.

Even better is an SYE/new driveshaft.

The best (and most $$$) would be an SYE/new driveshaft with a 1" body lift and 1" motor mount lift.
Unread 08-06-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
UZI4U
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I didn't measure any angles, but I had vibes when I was running the pinion shims and TC drop with my BDS 3.5" lift. I did a SYE kit, got rid of the drop and upped to 8* pinion shims and it's gone.
Unread 08-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #4
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Go to http://4xshaft.com/

Halfway down the page Technical Information and Sponsorships grey banner. Go in their and do some reading before you get all wrong on this. Here are a couple of pictures to help out.

Which driveshaft do you have pick the right picture and get your pinion angle lined up like the picture.

It works and with an angle finder you need to know the right angles and be within 2 degrees low to account for axle wrap on start up.
2joint_angle.gif   cv_angle.gif  

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:02 PM   #5
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also, check here: Driveshaft geometry, for information on how to measure and calculate the angles.

In the tech info section on the Tom Woods (4xshaft.com) website, the "Slopes vs. Angles" page will have tips on points to measure angles.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.