'93 Wrangler Codes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '93 Wrangler Codes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 10-06-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
Kman1983

1983 CJ5 

'93 Wrangler Codes

We've been having a problem with my wifes '93 Wrangler,2.5, 5 speed for about a month now. About a month ago it died acting like it wasn't getting fuel. I replaced the fuel pump and fuel filter. It started but again died while driving down the road. After checking the codes and getting some ideas from the board I changed the crank position sensor(ckp) and the coil. It fired right up and I went for a test drive. Hit a bump and it died. It finally started up and I hit another bump and it died. It restarted but was sputtering and hesitating awful and died again. Let it set and it fired up and ran fine and I drove back home. It died pulling in the yard. It refired but was sputtering and wouldn't go over 1700 rpm.I shut it off let it set a minute and refired it and it ran OK. As it was idling I got out and wiggled a bunch of wires and unplugged the map sensor which caused it to run rough and I plugged it back in.I shut it down and restarted it and it ran fine. I checked the codes:12(my step son helped himself to the battery the other day),33(I have no idea it doesn't have AC),11,14(I unplugged the map sensor),54,15 and of course 55. Does 54 mean the cam position sensor is bad in the distributor? If so the sensor(the pick up stator?) is $68. from NAPA and a remaned distributor is $72.50....I'm a little lost as what to change next...any thoughts?

Kman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Just a shot in the dark....have you done any wiring or mods under the jeep?? Look for a loose wire touching the exaust somewhere. That sounds just a lil too intermittent to be throwing sensors at it. . Happend to me Happy Wheelin'

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
Kman1983

1983 CJ5 

We did a complete frame swap in June/July and added a lift kit and new body mounts with a 1" lift built in. I'll climb under it and take a look to see if a wire could be hitting. I cleaned all the grounds on the engine when we hooked the wiring back up. It ran fine until early September then the gremlins started coming out.
Unread 10-12-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
Kman1983

1983 CJ5 

At the moment it will crank over but not start. I removed the cap on the shrader valve on the fuel rail and pressed the stem down and fuel barley trickled out. It's got a new fuel pump and I tried replacing the fuel pump and auto shutdown relays. What am I missing????
Unread 10-12-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The fuel filter is good? How is the cat? Maybe it broke apart and has the exhaust clogged? That's all I can add to what has already been said.
Unread 10-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #6
Kman1983

1983 CJ5 

I installed a new filter when I installed the new fuel pump. Not sure on the cat but I do have a problem with it not pumping fuel.
Unread 10-12-2008, 06:22 PM   #7
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Key to the problem is the YJ running poorly every time it hit's a bump. It sounds electrical in nature. I do believe that all those sensors noted in the DTC's you named have a common ground at the PCM.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Kman1983

1983 CJ5 

I'll check the ground. That could sure be it. Interesting side note: I installed the new relays and it wouldn't start. When I reinstalled the old relays it fired right up...
Unread 10-13-2008, 05:18 PM   #9
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kman1983 View Post
I'll check the ground. That could sure be it. Interesting side note: I installed the new relays and it wouldn't start. When I reinstalled the old relays it fired right up...
Check for corrosion in the relay sockets also, you never know.
I think the ground that is common for allthose rlays goes back to the ECM also. It may be pin 4 but I am not absolutely sure.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.