93 Weird Starting Issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-14-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
codenameanimal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 Weird Starting Issues

To start I have a 93 Jeep Wrangler with a 4.0 and AX15. For over a year now I have been trying to find the cause to a problem I have been having. The Jeep Will not turn over by Key. I have replaced the ignition switch (plug switch not cylinder), the starter fuse, the ignition fuse in the fuse box, and the starter relay. All of these replacements have all done the same problem. For about a week a new one allows the Jeep to be turned by key and then after the week it starts to have intermittent key starting problems and then after two weeks it is back to no key starts. In order to still enjoy the jeep as I only drive it for 3,000 miles a year I have set up a push start button where I still put the key in and turn it to run mode and hit the push start to turn over the jeep and it has done this past year no problem every time. I need some advice to help guide me as to where I should go to next. I am pretty handy with a multi-meter and can test but not sure where I should test at or if I should just try and replace the starter. The other thing I forgot to mention is that the lock cylinder is worn to the point I can remove the key while the jeep is running could this cause this issue? Thanks for any help you can provide.

1993 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 with AX-15 mostly stock with a 2.5" pro comp lift and a 1" Daystar body lift with 30" tires With Dynaflow exhaust, with hard top and Bestop softop, and Bestop replacement seats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-14-2016, 10:29 AM
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

The lock cylinder is not bad to replace, plenty of vids on utube. With a helper, check to be sure you are getting full voltage at the starter on the starter wire (little one on the solenoid).

Mark

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
post #3 of 12 Old 01-14-2016, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
codenameanimal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok sounds good I know the lock cylinder isn't hard to replace I just haven't because it is convenient for me to take my keys out if I need to run back in the house and not want to turn off the jeep lol. I will check the voltage at the solenoid.

1993 Jeep Wrangler 4.0 with AX-15 mostly stock with a 2.5" pro comp lift and a 1" Daystar body lift with 30" tires With Dynaflow exhaust, with hard top and Bestop softop, and Bestop replacement seats
post #4 of 12 Old 01-14-2016, 05:27 PM
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

at bottom of column on the 93, the ribbon wire comes out on pass side of column. it has an unusually wide plug ...i mean.....WIDE flat plug. just follow the wide flat ribbon coming out. Look up wiring for the column....and test it there....and i would grease that plug and plug it back in a few times. Good old greaSE fixes alot of jeep electrical issues for some reason.
If you can look up what wire at the plug sends power to the relay.......try jumping power to it there.....will at least tell you if its above or below the plug.
My 93 wrangler has the wonderful " omg i'll never get this back together" armored steel tube of doom column......and wow i hate opening thaT thing up. I even wired in an old school floor switch for high beams after trying to replace the one in side......was a night mare. And bottom line.....if a button works....go with it. I assume key still locks wheel and ignition so no one can steal it right? We all have cool buttons and switches in our old jeeps.....use a fuse.....or it makes a pretty blue smoke......and smells mmmm
post #5 of 12 Old 01-15-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
codenameanimal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsez
at bottom of column on the 93, the ribbon wire comes out on pass side of column. it has an unusually wide plug ...i mean.....WIDE flat plug. just follow the wide flat ribbon coming out. Look up wiring for the column....and test it there....and i would grease that plug and plug it back in a few times. Good old greaSE fixes alot of jeep electrical issues for some reason. If you can look up what wire at the plug sends power to the relay.......try jumping power to it there.....will at least tell you if its above or below the plug. My 93 wrangler has the wonderful " omg i'll never get this back together" armored steel tube of doom column......and wow i hate opening thaT thing up. I even wired in an old school floor switch for high beams after trying to replace the one in side......was a night mare. And bottom line.....if a button works....go with it. I assume key still locks wheel and ignition so no one can steal it right? We all have cool buttons and switches in our old jeeps.....use a fuse.....or it makes a pretty blue smoke......and smells mmmm
Thanks I will test it out on Saturday. The button is drawing too much amp to the solenoid and is causing corrosion so it is something I want to fix before I have to replace the starter. Other than that I would be fine with a button.

post #6 of 12 Old 01-17-2016, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
codenameanimal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Ok so I tested the solenoid to be sure and it tested fine but I did notice it is intermittent due to the solenoid terminal post being able to move not the wire but the post. I also checked the relay and the relay is bad as well. I did not check the switch yet as I came across these two problems. They are both under warranty so I will get them switched out and see if my problem is solved. And if not I am going to check the ignition switch. It does appear all grounds and wires look fine and it looks the ignition switch is properly adjusted as all modes on the switch work fine and I had previous engaging in start as when one component was replaced it would for a little while. If anyone has any input please feel free to add.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-18-2016, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
codenameanimal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Update I tried testing each pin of the relay in the pdc and noticed my problem might be pin 87 that leads to the brown wire aka the wire going to switch terminal on solenoid. To test this I ran a jumper wire from pin 87 to the terminal bypassing wire in between and voila it turns by key. Any help on how to remove the pdc box so i can look at this wire

post #8 of 12 Old 01-18-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
codenameanimal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Last update the jeep now turns by key I ran a new replacement wire for the ignition terminal on the solenoid back into the power dist. Center box and discovered the brown wire from pin 87 was corroded inside on the end. Thanks for all of the help.

post #9 of 12 Old 01-18-2016, 02:39 PM
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

glad we could help.....always grease all harness plugs....keeps this from happening again
post #10 of 12 Old 01-19-2016, 08:49 AM
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is a splice in that brown wire. It is the usual failure point. Jumpering it the way you did is the best way. Glad you got it running.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-19-2016, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
codenameanimal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ
There is a splice in that brown wire. It is the usual failure point. Jumpering it the way you did is the best way. Glad you got it running.
yeah I saw that and it seemed to be fine the corrosion was toward the end on the starter when I cut open the wire i could see that it was done for

post #12 of 12 Old 01-20-2016, 12:18 PM
mattsez
1993 YJ Wrangler 

** submits "jumpering" to be in the dictionary **

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.