93 Sahara 6 cyl 49,000 Miles / Help with Small surface rust spot - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 Sahara 6 cyl 49,000 Miles / Help with Small surface rust spot

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-16-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
loggy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 Sahara 6 cyl 49,000 Miles / Help with Small surface rust spot

I have a 1993 Sahara, 6 cyl, manual 4.0 with only 49,000 miles. It is in excellent condition with a couple exceptions. At the bottom of rear quarter I have a small surface rust area in and around the fender lip. Since the Jeep is all original I want to keep it that way with a minimum amount of sanding/paint work.......What is the best approach ? I had heard of some type of rubberized coating perhaps for the bottom 1" area ? Any help would be appreciated.

loggy@mindspring.com
Les

loggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Well you got to get the rust gone. If its surface rust sand it till its all gone then treat it with something like navel jelly to get rid of any you didnt see. Then get a self etching primer and treat the metal. Follow all directions on cleaning the surfaces. Once the primer is dry you could coat with any paint or rubber coating. You just got to get all rust 1st. Leave any or try to coat over it and you will have a night mare on your hands in a short time.
Got any pics of the rusted area?
Unread 11-16-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
loggy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sahara

I did just take a couple pics..please send me your e mail and I will forwrsd. THANKS !

Les
loggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Get you a photobucket.com account. Post them there and then paste the links in a reply here. Its free and makes posting pics super easy.
Unread 11-16-2009, 12:22 PM   #5
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

You live in Ohio with only a tiny bit of surface rust!?

You're one of the lucky ones.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-16-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
Jeepsr4me19
1976 CJ5 

Rust whats that? Is that something like snow. I hear alot about it but never get to see it...........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.