93 Jeep Wrangler 4.0l oil issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 Jeep Wrangler 4.0l oil issue

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-18-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
codenameanimal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 Jeep Wrangler 4.0l oil issue

Hi,
all i have been having an issue with loosing oil from my 4.0 engine in the 93 wrangler. This past fall i replaced the oil pan and rear main seal gaskets and still no fix. I know that with those two the other common leak is the valve cover, but the thing is i can never find oil ever leaking nor by the valve cover. About once a month I have to add a quart of oil. I did notice though on the last oil change there was oil residue in my air filter. So I was wondering if anyone may know what is causing this. The engine seems to run fine it is just annoying to have to add the quart every month plus not easy on the wallet once it starts to add up.

Thanks for any info

codenameanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
disarm6565
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Blow by, either a vacuum issue or head gasket leak. Possibly burning oil too.
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #3
codenameanimal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by disarm6565 View Post
Blow by, either a vacuum issue or head gasket leak. Possibly burning oil too.
Yeah I think that is where my oil has been burning since I cannot seem to find any leaks. The vehicle itself feels like it always has and doesn't seem like a head gasket leak plus my oil doesn't look milky either. Any suggestions as to what vacuum lines could cause this so I can look at that tomorrow
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
jameslinn83
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had a similar problem on my 92 when I first got it. I replaced the valve cover gasket, oil pan, rear main seal an no luck. The problem was my pcv system was not clear and it was causing pressure in the crankcase and causing oil to come out of my dipstick from the extra crankcase pressure.
Make sure the line from the valve cover to the air box is totally clear, in fact replace it all and make sure there is a good seal on your distick.
jameslinn83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Remove your valve cover and flip it over. You will see what looks like a triangular shaped tower directly below each elbow fitting. Inside of both of these is a baffle that commonly clogs with carbon. Remove both and thoroughly clean these baffles. If clogged, this can easily cause blow bye and the oil consumption that you are experiencing.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
heyvern
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The larger line at the front of the valve cover is there to allow air into the block, the smaller line at rear of the valve cover running to a fitting on the intake manifold is a vacuum line. If the vacuum line is clogged, pressure will push oil out through the intake line making you air filter wet with oil. I had this problem for a while until I learned all of this here on JFK. I don't remember who posted it, but it worked for me.
By the way my '94 came from Don's in Chambersburg.
heyvern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:13 PM   #7
codenameanimal
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyvern View Post
The larger line at the front of the valve cover is there to allow air into the block, the smaller line at rear of the valve cover running to a fitting on the intake manifold is a vacuum line. If the vacuum line is clogged, pressure will push oil out through the intake line making you air filter wet with oil. I had this problem for a while until I learned all of this here on JFK. I don't remember who posted it, but it worked for me.
By the way my '94 came from Don's in Chambersburg.
Yep I know Dons auto that is where I have had any major mechanical repair done that i didn't have time to do done by Barry Don's son and never had issues although to find a wrangler there anymore seems to be very slim now adays. Anyways thanks for all of the suggestions and I will look at the Jeep this weekend to see if I can get the think to stop guling the oil to save me some cash darn oil monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.