93 half door problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 half door problems

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 02-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #1
Obcean2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

93 half door problems

Please help. My half doors have had issues since I got the jeep 2 years ago. I thought it was the lock cylinder, but now I think it is the latch/lock mechanism. I discovered this when I tried to shut the door and the mechanism on the door would not latch around the post on the door. I have done several searches on the internet and several other jeep forums as well as this one (of course!). I have checked all the Quadratech and 4Wheel Parts. I can't find the replacement mechanism, period. I am sure they are available at the stealership, but I would like to avoid that. I read a few posts about components being bent and thus easily fixed, but I am not clear on what was bent in the first place because no one posted pics. Has anyone seen a write up on this issue? Is anyone familiar with how to fix/replace the parts in the door, and what probably needs to be replaced after 17 years? Please help. I would rather fix whatever might be broken, but a supplier other than the dealership for replacement parts would be great to know about. Thanks!

Obcean2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
warhog-06
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Make sure the latch is bad first. You should be able to push the latch in with a screwdriver, just as the post would. If it will close and lock, it is probably just an allignment issue. The doors, and the striker (post) can be adjusted.
warhog-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #3
Obcean2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you. I suspect it is an alignment issue, but I just don't see how to make the adjustments. Any ideas?
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
warhog-06
1997 TJ Wrangler 

A torx bit should fit in the end of the striker. You loosen it just enough to be able to move it around. The closer you move it to the door, the further out the door will stop. The further away from the door, the tighter it will fit. Usually, after hitting it a few thousand times the striker will move back far enough that the door will shut hard or not latch at all. Try to move it toward the door, a little at a time until it shuts easily.

If you don't have the torx bit, you can sometimes use a set of channel locks/ pliers to lossen and tighten it.
warhog-06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Machine1582569
1993 YJ Wrangler 

make sure your door handle is releasing fully. the rod that actuates the latch lever can sometimes seize up... Get some good penetrating oil and soak everything down. Pull your inner door skin and lube er up
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

If the latch assembly is getting stuck. Apply some white lithium grease to the moving parts,this will help to free it up.

You can buy it at any auto parts store.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just installed a set of hard doors last weekend and had the problem of the doors not latching shut

I had to unscrew the striker and put some washers behind it so it extended out further. You can also move it up or down before tightening for proper alighnment

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #8
YjMick
1995 YJ Wrangler 

The striker can be adjusted with a T50 torx, also you may need to adjust the lower body hinge by loosening it while door is open. Then close the door, and if it closes fully, retighten the hinge while the door is closed
YjMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #9
Obcean2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help. We soaked the mechanism for a day in lithium grease and that helped a lot. We also moved the striker pin forward. So far, so good. Now that I have working doors, I am going to work on the tailgate. That has to be the same issue. It is a good thing that I procrastinate, because I was planning to remove the lock cylinders and have them serviced somehow, and maybe rekeyed. Now that is money I can spend somewhere else on the yeep!
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:15 PM   #10
1ATony
Vendor
1997 ZJ 

Glad we could help out a fellow Jeepa.

Click Here^^ For a Great Selection Of Auto Repair Parts
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

nice !!!!!!!

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.