93 4.0L sounds like a diesel - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 4.0L sounds like a diesel

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #16
coachholland
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That won't help. Yours sounds the exact same as mine does and I've been told it was the lifters. When I took my Jeep to a guy over the weekend to put a new exhaust header on, he was supposed to put new lifters in as well. They were sitting in my back seat when I got back never opened... #@%$!. However, new fluid in the transmission will smooth out your shifting. Be sure to put 10-30W in there. A TSB was issued that calls for use of motor oil instead of the old stuff. I did it and it shifts like butter now.

I think I may have seen you out in it a couple of days ago.

Unread 04-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #17
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

becareful with the seafoam on older vehicles people say you get leaks that pop up everywhere.. I have no experience w/ that issuse but thats the reason I didn't do it

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:36 AM   #18
NOAKES91yj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Maybe, just maybe it's one of them diesel 4.0's ??? My dads was doing the same thing, we tried MMO and sea foam but neither worked. His was pretty bad sounding though. I would give them both a shot cause i've heard good things about them for this type of situation!!
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #19
Marine_Mike
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Between the normal slap sound of the I6 and the flowmaster... I get asked quite frequently if there is a 4bt under the hood.
Marine_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm dealing with the same thing but with the 2.5, I use the MMO for the last 2-3 oil changes and it seems to help for the first few hundred miles but then turns back into a diesel. My noise also seems to be coming from the bottom of the motor and not the top. Not looking forward to pulling a turd to rebuild it..
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #21
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

For the lifter clatter, I did an engine flush before my last oil change and added about 1/3 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil with the new oil, I went with a 5w/30 (I had 20/50 in before, bad). Now I just get a little clatter upon startup, but I do smell oil getting past the rings, no puffs out the exhaust, but I still smell it. Beats doing an overhaul!

Happy Wheelin'

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 11:11 AM   #22
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Some of that is your flywheel and the design of the motor. My flywheel makes mine sound like a diesel at idle but as soon as I give it any gas it goes away and doesn't start again until a few seconds after I let off the gas and the engine settles back into idle. Mine has done it since... well.. I don't remember. Probably since it had less than 30K on it. The 4.0 just does that to a certain amount.

I guess it could be lifter chatter but mechanics have told me that it's the flywheel. Regardless, mine has done it since before I can remember... so some or all of it has to be normal.

Last edited by Wheelman286; 04-21-2010 at 11:25 AM..
Wheelman286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #23
coachholland
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullTripper View Post
becareful with the seafoam on older vehicles people say you get leaks that pop up everywhere.. I have no experience w/ that issuse but thats the reason I didn't do it
That's the same reason people say not to change from dino to synthetic oil on older engines. Synthetics are thinner and have more detergents, thus clean out gunk that builds up in engines. Sometimes that gunk is hiding major problems with your engine that you won't find out about until it's too late. Worst case is that gunk is definitely not good for your engine and it's contributing and causing more wear and leading to premature failure. I would rather find out about a small leak now than have a piston through my hood later.
Unread 04-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #24
dudeinajp
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

This is the first 4.0L 5-speed that I have owned (if that matters). I've had a 96, 97, 00 XJ, and a 98 ZJ automatic. None of them sounded like this.
dudeinajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #25
afknatombomb
1995 YJ Wrangler 

well, from my experince, my jeep does the samething untill just recently it started to sound louder(in a bad way), unusual vabrating and loss of power, so i took a look, turned out a have a huge f-ing crack on my headers

maybe you should do the same.
afknatombomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 04:27 PM   #26
Mark4883
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Please post a write up of this mod, I would like to do it to my YJ as well.
Mark4883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #27
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I will bet my jeep its the lifters. The reason you hear the sound at the rear is cause it will eco thru the bell housing. I havent seen any bad long term effects of bad lifters but I would imagine after a while it will mess up the valves and head.
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #28
dudeinajp
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stockjeep View Post
I will bet my jeep its the lifters. The reason you hear the sound at the rear is cause it will eco thru the bell housing. I havent seen any bad long term effects of bad lifters but I would imagine after a while it will mess up the valves and head.
I have heard that from a couple of people. That's why it can be hard to find internal engine noise.
dudeinajp is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.