93 4.0L sounds like a diesel - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 4.0L sounds like a diesel

Magnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High ClearanIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 04-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
dudeinajp
1998 XJ Cherokee 

93 4.0L sounds like a diesel

I'm just curious if this is normal. The PO says the bottom was rebuilt w/ new oil pump about 10k ago, 110,700 on it now. He did it because of the gauge reading low and inconsistent and not being familiar with the 4.0L. It was reading the same after the rebuild as well. Changed out the sender, same. He put a mechanical gauge and it was reading good and steady oil pressure. I want to know if all is okay and not have to worry about it. I've had other 4.0L Jeeps, but none sounded like this one. It runs great though.

Here are a couple of vids.

dudeinajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
MoparFreak69
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Almost sounds like piston slap to me. The reason I dont think it is rod knock is when you revved it the noise went away. Usually rod knock will get louder and louder with more revs (just went through this with a Neon I had). Its a bit hard to tell from the audio but that is my thought. Take a long screwdriver and place the handle into your ear and touch the metal end around to various spots on the block. Use it as a stethescope. Its the quickest and easiest way to figure out where the noise is coming from.
[SIZE="5"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/myj-build-2-years-ago-today-1197236"]MYj Build[/URL][/SIZE]
MoparFreak69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Its the lifters. My g pas wrangler is the same way. They most likely are gummed up and dirty. The right way to fix em is to replace em. But you can run half a qaurt of atf ( yes I said atf) or marvel mystery oil to clean em up. The atf is high in detergents and will help clean em up. You would be suprised the diff it makes. You can also use sea foam but I kinda worry bout putting something thin as water in my oil. Run it for a few hundred miles and go easy on it. If ya gonna pull loads or hills AI would put fresh oil in first
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
jeep_maniack
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i heard that SeaFoam is supposed to help sticky lifters... i used it in my jeep and it seems to be running smoother.. people told me it helped their sticky lifters so if it is the lifters then maybe this will help. just search seafoam how to on youtube maybe even add in jeep to the search and you will see what i mean..
Any questions PM me and ill try to help as far as sea foam goes.
Good luck! later
()_)=o()_)=o=)_)__-_-__-__-_-___
jeep_maniack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I have done the sea foam in the intake. Make sure ya have a breezy day lol! It makes some smoke
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:41 PM   #6
dudeinajp
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stockjeep View Post
Its the lifters. My g pas wrangler is the same way. They most likely are gummed up and dirty. The right way to fix em is to replace em. But you can run half a qaurt of atf ( yes I said atf) or marvel mystery oil to clean em up. The atf is high in detergents and will help clean em up. You would be suprised the diff it makes. You can also use sea foam but I kinda worry bout putting something thin as water in my oil. Run it for a few hundred miles and go easy on it. If ya gonna pull loads or hills AI would put fresh oil in first
I'll give this a shot. I just changed the oil w/ some 15w40. If it doesn't work, I'll just have the head I have rebuilt before I pull the old one to replace the lifters and I assume the cam as well. The exhaust manifold needs replacing too, cracked, so I'll just do it all at once. As long as it will get me through until next spring, I'll deal with the noise.
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to my world. Mine sounds just like yours and has been sounding like that for years. I'm at 296k miles but it runs great. A little noisy but I can't justify tearing it down when it runs so good. I've tried thicker oil and mystery marvel. Nothing helped.

Me and my buddy just replaced the cam, lifters, timing chain, and had a valve job done on his 258 4.2L and it's so quiet. I was jealous.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM   #8
dudeinajp
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
Welcome to my world. Mine sounds just like yours and has been sounding like that for years. I'm at 296k miles but it runs great. A little noisy but I can't justify tearing it down when it runs so good. I've tried thicker oil and mystery marvel. Nothing helped.

Me and my buddy just replaced the cam, lifters, timing chain, and had a valve job done on his 258 4.2L and it's so quiet. I was jealous.
That's why I tried the 15w40 oil and it didn't do anything. The MMO may not either, but it's worth a shot.
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #9
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The thicker oil may not help because the lifter is plugged and the oil cant get in. I ahve seen these things run for long time makin all kinds of noise! Buy a loud stereo. Thats what i did
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:36 PM   #10
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeinayj View Post
That's why I tried the 15w40 oil and it didn't do anything. The MMO may not either, but it's worth a shot.
$4 for the MMO. Definitely worth a shot. I try to use it every other oil change. As a matter of fact I put the larger oil filter on and increase the oil capacity a little.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
dudeinajp
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stockjeep View Post
The thicker oil may not help because the lifter is plugged and the oil cant get in. I ahve seen these things run for long time makin all kinds of noise! Buy a loud stereo. Thats what i did
I turn the stereo up too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louie4 View Post
$4 for the MMO. Definitely worth a shot. I try to use it every other oil change. As a matter of fact I put the larger oil filter on and increase the oil capacity a little.
I didn't think of using a larger filter. I'll have to remember it for next time.
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:47 PM   #12
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeinayj View Post
I didn't think of using a larger filter. I'll have to remember it for next time.
At Autozone it was right next to the STP S16 filter (one called for in the book). I think its an S8. I don't know how much it really did for me but it didn't hurt.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
University of Georgia
Unread 04-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #13
JFranko
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Sound's like Jimi Hendrix to me

I'd say lifters, when I changed mine it made that sound (except only once lifter was hitting). I just took the valve cover off and ground down where it was hitting to give it a hair of extra clearance. I'd recommend changing them before you go that route though.

Also, good pick on getting the YJ
RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #494
JFranko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2010, 09:14 PM   #14
dudeinajp
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omarambo101 View Post
Sound's like Jimi Hendrix to me

I'd say lifters, when I changed mine it made that sound (except only once lifter was hitting). I just took the valve cover off and ground down where it was hitting to give it a hair of extra clearance. I'd recommend changing them before you go that route though.

Also, good pick on getting the YJ
I have an extra block and head that came with the Jeep, he was going to build a Stroker. I think I'll do the same. A budget 4.5L since the funds are and will be tight.

Thanks. I love the YJ. It's much more fun than any of my previous XJs or the ZJ I sold to buy it.
Unread 04-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #15
dudeinajp
1998 XJ Cherokee 

After closer inspection. The sound is at its loudest where the engine/transmission come together. I'm going to change the fluid in the transmission to see what happens.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.