93 4.0L with foam in radiator - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 4.0L with foam in radiator

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 02-15-2012, 06:35 AM   #1
RUBE1975

93 4.0L with foam in radiator

Hey all first post and I could really use some advice. I noticed yesterday my engine wasnt getting hot and I got no heat. When I got into work this morning I touch the radiator cold, engine not strangely warm, checked the radiator and It was full of foam? And oil was clean at the dipstick. I let it sit a bit while I hit the internet looking for answers. Now I just went to check the head gasket. I noticed the foam had turned back to coolant when I opened up the radiator. Started the engine and got some bubbles and then the foam. FML
I got a could of questions

Does this sound like it could be anything else beside the head gasket?

anyone happen to know what am I looking at for cost to fix the head gasket vs replace the engine?

Any good shops between Canton MA and Somerville MA (boston area)?

Any good junk yards between Canton MA and Somerville MA (boston area)?

can I drive it home today without making the problem much worse?

What would you do in my shoes??

Thanks in advance for the help all.

RUBE1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:01 AM   #2
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

If you're engine is running cold and you have no heat it sounds like you need to replace your thermostat. Was the foam oily or just foam? I say get a thermostat, flush the cooling system, refill and let it run. Then check for leaks and see if the heat works.

If you're running into the same issue report back.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds to me like you should check for other leaks first before jumping to the expensive stuff. Fill it up with collant too it sounds like it is really low. You may want to check the water pump as well. All that is free or cheap to check compared to 5 or 6 hundred to have a head gasket done or a few grand for a new engine. Just take a breath and start with simple and free and work your way up. But first fill it up with coolant all the way. Then start these test.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
RUBE1975

Thanks for the advice Lou and siva it would def make my day if this isnt a head gasket. The foam is very clean ie not brown-ish in the slightest so thats a plus.
Unread 02-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #5
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You can only hope it is just a head gasket and not a cracked head or block. But has was said try add coolant first. Then check it for bubbles and if you have bubbles with the engine running smell what is coming out. If it smell like exhaust then you have to look farther to find where the problem is.
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #6
craniumboy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any news about this?
Unread 02-21-2012, 05:26 AM   #7
RUBE1975

Thermostat failed open.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.