93 4.0 to 88 4.2 Swap. Bulkhead diagrams enclosed, need advice. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 93 4.0 to 88 4.2 Swap. Bulkhead diagrams enclosed, need advice.

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-21-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
trippleb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

93 4.0 to 88 4.2 Swap. Bulkhead diagrams enclosed, need advice.

TO AVOID CONFUSION SKIP AHEAD TO POST #20.
THE PREVIOUS POSTS ARE FROM MY FIRST FAILED ATTEMPT

Hi there I am mid engine swap from a 1988 yj 4.2 to a 4.0 High Output from a 1993 XJ. I have both bulkhead Pinout diagrams but I'm not sure of which pins translate to what on my new wiring harness.

Heres What I have so far swapped over (yellow.)
I have left everything I am unsure of plain white.

And here is the XJ Bulkhead as a referance.

Thank you very much.

Unread 10-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you would have notice that lights and all where one one side you did not have to touch. You could have split the connector into two different halves. You should have just done the engine side only. Here is all that is need to get the engine to run power+(from battery), ignition(run), start( going to the starter) and power going to the fuel pump. Now the rest is for gauges and accessories that you might have or not. If you are using a manual trans you will need to jump the safety (neutral) switch. You might also think about using the stop switch.

Now here is the big question. Which bulk head connector are you using YJ or XJ
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #3
feuer895
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Doing mine i took both the YJ and XJ one and compared them and started swapping the wires needed into the YJ one. I just took the pins out of the connector in the engine bay and moved them around.

This site was a good help and had plenty of info. I switched the pins around and everything seems to work. I haven't started it yet do to a alternator issue that causes the ground to spark whenever the alt 30amp fues is plugged in.

CJOffroad.com - YJ Bulkhead Connector Wiring List
Unread 10-22-2010, 12:48 AM   #4
trippleb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
If you would have notice that lights and all where one one side you did not have to touch. You could have split the connector into two different halves. You should have just done the engine side only. Here is all that is need to get the engine to run power+(from battery), ignition(run), start( going to the starter) and power going to the fuel pump. Now the rest is for gauges and accessories that you might have or not. If you are using a manual trans you will need to jump the safety (neutral) switch. You might also think about using the stop switch.

Now here is the big question. Which bulk head connector are you using YJ or XJ
Sure the lighting is all on the same side of the bulk head connecters, but if I left it as is my parking lamps would control left front turn signal, my right turn signal would go to fused ignition c, ect. ect.

I am using the cherokees wiring harness inside of my yj engine bay, and the yjs stock under dash harness.

I have filled out what pins i have already swapped, I am more concered as to which of the batterys goes where, where I-3 ignition goes, diode fuse assembly, ect.

Quote:
Doing mine i took both the YJ and XJ one and compared them and started swapping the wires needed into the YJ one. I just took the pins out of the connector in the engine bay and moved them around.

This site was a good help and had plenty of info. I switched the pins around and everything seems to work. I haven't started it yet do to a alternator issue that causes the ground to spark whenever the alt 30amp fues is plugged in.
1995 XJ Engine Harness Wires I Connected to YJ Bulkhead Connector:
XJ E4 to YJ D4 (12 - RED): Always hot, provides power from PDC fuse 6 (labeled 'Ignition System') to ignition switch.
XJ H2 to YJ G5 (18 - YEL): Hot in start, provides power from ignition switch to PDC starter relay.
XJ D2 to YJ G4 (12 - BLK/RED): Always hot, provides power from PDC fuse 7 (labeled 'Heated Window') to interior 'Rear Defroster' fuse.
XJ C4 to YJ B4 (14 - DRK GRN/TAN): Provides power from PDC relay B (labeled 'Fuel Pump') to the (you guessed it) fuel pump. Of course you'll have to add a fuel pump, but the wiring is already back there for one.
XJ B6 to YJ D5 (12 - DRK BLU/YEL): Hot in run and start, provides power from ignition switch to PDC fuse 11 (labeled 'Ignition').
XJ D1 to YJ E4 (12 - RED/WHT): Always hot, provides power from PDC fuse 5 (labeled 'Headlamps') to interior Headlamp, Dimmer Switch, and Parking Lamp fuses.
XJ G4 to YJ B5 (12 - BLK): Provides grounding from engine compartment to instrument panel.

Additional Wires I Ran:
From ECM pin 32 (20 - BLK/PNK) to dash for Check Engine Light.
From ECM pin 36 (20 - DRK GRN/YEL) to dash for Check Gauges Light.
From ECM pin 54 (20 - ORN/BLK) to dash for Up-Shift Light.
From PDC 'Radiator Fan' relay (16 - LT GRN) to my electric cooling fan.

That was everything I was missing thank you.

Can someone please explain if I did my lighting right or am I missing something here?
Unread 10-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #5
feuer895
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You would leave the right side of the connector alone and if you ran the wires right the lights should work! I followed that wiring guide and they work for me.
Unread 10-22-2010, 09:07 AM   #6
trippleb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am swapping over on the inside of the fire wall, not sure if that makes a differance. I'm sorry if I seem slow can anyone explain why I shouldnt move my lighting pins, I mean sure they all do land on the right but C2 on the YJ is XJ F1, YJA3 - XJF2, YJA1-XB1. Do you see where I am getting confused, it makes sense for me that High beam head light should be swapped to High beam headlight, not left hooked up to battery. Thanks
Unread 10-22-2010, 09:25 AM   #7
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

You are using a xj wiring harness inside of a YJ not a good idea to do. I would just do the under hood stuff leave what is there that works alone.

Confused am I. When you inside the bulkhead. I'm think inside the tub. Not under the hood or engine compartment.
Unread 10-22-2010, 09:38 AM   #8
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippleb View Post
I am swapping over on the inside of the fire wall, not sure if that makes a differance. I'm sorry if I seem slow can anyone explain why I shouldnt move my lighting pins, I mean sure they all do land on the right but C2 on the YJ is XJ F1, YJA3 - XJF2, YJA1-XB1. Do you see where I am getting confused, it makes sense for me that High beam head light should be swapped to High beam headlight, not left hooked up to battery. Thanks

First of all you should not have to move a single wire in the connector for the lights and all that is not related to the engine. All you are trying to do is use the connection for the engine part of the wiring harness. These are two separate wiring harness. Though they both hook to what look like a single connector. You are making this a lot harder than it need to be for yourself. So this is what is confusing you so much. Then that will cause many problem shooting hours. Do not think about where the wires are in the xj connector just where they need to be in the yj side unless like i said one post up your are think of using the xj wiring harness inside the YJ
Unread 10-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
feuer895
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If it helps I can post a pic of how I set mine up when I get to the shop.
Unread 10-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
trippleb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
First of all you should not have to move a single wire in the connector for the lights and all that is not related to the engine. All you are trying to do is use the connection for the engine part of the wiring harness. These are two separate wiring harness. Though they both hook to what look like a single connector. You are making this a lot harder than it need to be for yourself. So this is what is confusing you so much. Then that will cause many problem shooting hours. Do not think about where the wires are in the xj connector just where they need to be in the yj side unless like i said one post up your are think of using the xj wiring harness inside the YJ
My old yj harness dosnt have any injector wires and a different ecm then the 4.0 so it won't work wirth my new engine?

If I could get a picture of your setup that would be great.
Unread 10-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No you missed what I'm saying. Use the bulk head connector from the YJ. This keeps your lights, washer, horn and etc. from being move and having to figure out where they go plus figuring out the ECM side to plus the the rest of the engine controls.

I did the splice setup from the yj bulkhead for the engine connections. I have the CC hooked up, TCU (This is for the trans you should not need) connected the A/C and had the gauges wiring too. Like I said earlier that you only need 4 wires connected to the yj side tothe xj wiring get the engine to run. The rest are for the gauges, accessories, and fuel pump. There will be wires on the xj side that you will not need to hook up to the YJ side.
Unread 10-24-2010, 02:13 AM   #12
trippleb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am still missing what you are saying, I am using the bulk head connector from the YJ, I am plugging the xj harness into it.
Unread 10-24-2010, 04:58 AM   #13
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Then why are you changing the lighting wiring? That part should have never been touched. So let's see if we are understanding each other. because right now I'm confused as hell. You are taking the wire out of the XJ plug putting them into the YJ plug??? Not taking the wires out of the YJ plug putting them in XJ connection?????
Unread 10-24-2010, 11:32 AM   #14
trippleb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've rearranged all the pins in the YJ connector (insde firewall) to line up with where they are on the XJ's wiring harness connector(underhood firewall.) The 2 Diagrams at the begininng of the post are the two connectors I am trying to make work with each other, I have look at them tons and Don't see where the lights line up, they are all in diffent pin locations on oppisite sides of the firewall.

Heres some pictures of what I am doing because we defeinatly arnt getting each other with just text.
I do appeciate the help, just don't want to say I get it without actually getting where I am going wrong.

This is where I swapped my pins on the YJ to line up with the cherokee.-

This is the cherokee Wiring harness, I am not do anything here, all the pins are swapped underdash.-

Heres the hole in the firewall where they will be plugged together.-

Unread 10-25-2010, 06:14 PM   #15
trippleb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

anyone got any advice?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.