92 YJ. What are these things???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 YJ. What are these things????

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRoad Race Motorsports Stage 2 Power Pack

Unread 09-08-2001, 06:10 PM   #1
RFWrangler

92 YJ. What are these things????

Ok, when I pulled my carpet out the other day to put them in the dryer. (dont ask) I noticed these, well i guess the best thing to call them would be footman loops. They look like the center loop on the hood. What the heck are they for? i noticed them in the front, on the floor by the door sill.

Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Scored a 139 on the Jeep Rater.
RFWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2001, 06:54 PM   #2
ralstonm

I had a '92 with those too. The dealer told me that they were to stap down the spreader bars from the roll cage when you fold the windshield down.

Pretty slick, huh.

matt
'95 jeep wanger, I mean wrang-u-lar
Unread 09-09-2001, 12:19 AM   #3
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yup, you should of got 4 small straps, too. It's used when you lower the windshield and have to remove the spreader bars. I've never used them though. Never drop the windshield when I was using the spreaders. A better use for them is to tie down anything else. A tent or extra shafts or what not could easily fit there. I used to put my rolled up windows there. You did get teh window bags?
Unread 09-16-2001, 10:39 PM   #4
RFWrangler

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to this. I actually forgot I even posted it until now. anyway, what do you mean by the spreader bars??? the section of the rollbar that connects to the windsheild?? I didn't get those straps, I got my YJ used. Not sure where to get replacements, my bet would be the dealer, I do however need a replacement loop for the passenger side door. Both the loop and the strap is missing, the hook is there though. I also need a replacement pin switch, I was disconnecting the dome on that side over the summer when I took my doors off and it broke. That reminds me, how the hell do you get those damned torx bolts out of the spreader bar to drop the windsheild???? Namely, the stripped ones
Clarion BD216, RF 200aIV, Clarion APA2030, RF HE2 12's, Rf 4x6's, RF 1" Tweets, Eclipse EUU-1300, Aura Bass Shakers Security: Clifford Power: Optima Yellow top,Thrush turbo 2 1/2" Exhaust, Radio Shack Sport CB, 102" whip antenna, Dual tips on Exhaust, K&N custom intake, KC Lightbar, 4 KC Daylighters.
Unread 09-18-2001, 03:49 AM   #5
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally posted by RFWrangler:
Sorry its taken me so long to get back to this. I actually forgot I even posted it until now. anyway, what do you mean by the spreader bars??? the section of the rollbar that connects to the windsheild?? I didn't get those straps, I got my YJ used. Not sure where to get replacements, my bet would be the dealer, I do however need a replacement loop for the passenger side door. Both the loop and the strap is missing, the hook is there though. I also need a replacement pin switch, I was disconnecting the dome on that side over the summer when I took my doors off and it broke. That reminds me, how the hell do you get those damned torx bolts out of the spreader bar to drop the windsheild???? Namely, the stripped ones
Ok, the spreader bars are the bars that go from the main rollbar to the windshield frame. If you uncover them, they are black while the rest of the roll bar is the same color as the body. THe Jeep sould of come with 4 straps. I'll see if I can fine mine and take a picture of them. I bet you don't even have teh strap that is used to hold up the rear seat huh? You can get the straps from the Dealer but it's not a real big deal. I don't know what you mean by the hook is there. There should be two loops with two bolts bolding them in. I'm sure they are the same part that TJ's use in the rear behind the rear seat.

Oh yeah here's how you should take the spreaders off without damaging the Torx. Start off by unbolting the large torx from the backside of the main roll cage hoop. That will take the pressure of the front torx and make it easier to install and remove the smaler torx in the windshield frame. I have one semi-stripped thread from learning the hard way. Try that and see if there is enough of the torx to remove them. If it's back out far enough and the threads are toast then try using vice grips. Otherwise you'll have to drill them out. Here's another tip. Replace teh Torx with allen head tapered bolts. They will sit flush like the Torx but are 100x easier to remove.

Should I mention that YJ have two vinyl bags to put the two rear side windows in too? Oh yeah, I've got two spreader bars from my 92' that are in perfect shape for sale.
Unread 09-18-2001, 02:40 PM   #6
RFWrangler

Ok, I have the spreader bars, I mean stripping the heads not the threads.
I bought my baby girl used from a non-Jeep dealer. So I didn't get them perty strapy things.
What I mean by the hook, the loop on the door is gone, and the metal where it should be looks bent, like it was ripped off somehow. The hook is the thing on the inside of the Jeep that the door strap goes over to keep the door from kissing the front fender.
I got her with the factory hard top and hard doors. Bought my soft top from a buddy who had sold his YJ and got a TJ. Paid him $100 for the whole soft top, plus a Besttop bikini top. Didn't have the window bags, but the windows aren't scratched, so its all good. I would like to know the best way to clean them though.
Thanks alot for replying.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.