92 yj rear t-seal...again - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 yj rear t-seal...again

Corbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Bds suspension discount

Unread 09-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #1
rtournay

92 yj rear t-seal...again

Just replaced last week..all was cleaned..now it's leaking some again. I have a 4"suspension lift. Any advice without going to a sye kit (don't have the money for that.)

rtournay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #2
kloppk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Could be the slip yoke has a groove in it from the old seals and dirt. That can cause new seals to leak.
Another possibility is that the bushing inside the tcase tailcone is worn allowing the slip yoke to wobble a bit and cause it to leak.

Ya really need an SYE with a 4" lift...
kloppk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2013, 07:51 PM   #3
rtournay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloppk View Post
Could be the slip yoke has a groove in it from the old seals and dirt. That can cause new seals to leak.
Another possibility is that the bushing inside the tcase tailcone is worn allowing the slip yoke to wobble a bit and cause it to leak.

Ya really need an SYE with a 4" lift...
Been so putting off the SYE. I'll get another seal..try it again and inspect the shaft better. Bearing seemed tight when I changed the seal last week.
If it continues..I'll look to see if I can hook up with the slip yoke eliminator.
Thanks
Unread 09-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
rambo3489
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Make sure to oil the seal where the shaft rides. I doubt it would leak within a weak. But maybe. Take your time. Don't kink it. Or it's gonna leak. If it keeps leaking on ya let it go keep the fluid up and for the love of God get a SYE and drive shaft.

Current Project: None... I disgust myself.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/my-yj-build-adventures-thread-1356941/"][SIZE="3"][B]BUILDING THE YJ MY WAY[/B][/SIZE][/URL]
rambo3489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
rtournay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo3489 View Post
Make sure to oil the seal where the shaft rides. I doubt it would leak within a weak. But maybe. Take your time. Don't kink it. Or it's gonna leak. If it keeps leaking on ya let it go keep the fluid up and for the love of God get a SYE and drive shaft.
I used petroleum jelly on the shaft...made sure all was really clean and slid it in.. 4 days of driving and it's leaking. I have the transfer case drop. I'll give it one more try and hopefully helps our buys me more time
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #6
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtournay View Post
I used petroleum jelly on the shaft...made sure all was really clean and slid it in.
Man... I need more coffee

I'd think the driveshaft would be suspect. No grooves or abnormal wear?

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Reno72
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If you're avoiding a SYE because of money, i understand. But if it's some other reason....just do it! You will feel the effect right away, no more vibration, you don't even feel the drivesaft moving, no more TC drop, so your underside looks almost flat. Well worth the money....but only if you can swing it. Good Luck
Reno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #8
rtournay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randonexplosion View Post

Man... I need more coffee

I'd think the driveshaft would be suspect. No grooves or abnormal wear?
I'm going to do it again...maybe I didn't clean it good enough. (Was just my first time.lol)

It is because of money. Just finished the build...do kinda tapped at the moment

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.