92 YJ Rear Brake Lights not working??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 YJ Rear Brake Lights not working???

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits WJ Modular Recovery & Bull Bar Relocation Packages

Unread 09-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2timmy View Post
Ok didn't know that. Great knowledge, I thank you sir.
Hmmm then could that lead to an issue in the steering column wiring??? Sadly enough I'm on my second steering column because the old one broke at the tilt mechanism. I replaced it a couple of years ago and all lights were fine including the brake lights. But it came loose again last year and I had to take off the steering wheel and part of the column again to re-tighten the bolts. Ever since then whenever I turn hard to the right and then go to straighten out the wheel the horn beeps itself.... rather funny whenever I turn into a road on the right it beeps and people stare at me, or when you pull into a gas station with hot chics in the car in front of you it works to your advantage ..... could the problem be in the steering column blinker lever or something??
It sounds like that it could be in the Turn signal/combination switch. It may not hurt to take a look at it and see what has been bent over, kicked to one side or misaligned. I know that it is a pain in the rear to remove the steering wheel. I have the schematic of the turn signal wiring at home, but unfortunately, once I leave work, I leave the cyber world behind for the weekend. I can have it by next Monday if you haven't gotten it before then.
I wish you luck!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks Rproject. I will look into cleaning those contacts as well. The difference I see between your issue and mine is that all my lights and blinkers work and the hazards work on all but the Left Rear light. The brake lights do not work at all. My left rear light is cracked and does allow some moisture it. Though my jeep is garaged and always has the top off and never really sees rain anymore. Muddy puddles on the other hand are common. They are probably in some sort of loops so who knows.... One blinker bulb goes out they both go out... kind of like Christmas tree lights.
t2timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #18
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks remmons!! I'm gonna do a thorough cleaning of all light bulb contacts in the front and rear make sure all bulbs are good, do a little testing with the meter and as a last resort rip into the steering wheel. I've done it twice and have all the tools so it's not that big of a deal just time consuming. Thanks again all.
Unread 09-27-2010, 03:05 PM   #19
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Mostly solved the problem on this issue. Started by pulling the light assembly and sanding off any rust on the grounding plate and test the light for continuity. Then spent hours with a couple buddies chasing back the wires from the left taillight and looking at the wiring diagram in the Chilton manual. Found that the hazard relay switch (round fuse like switch at the top of the fuse box under the dash) seemed to be causing an issue. Pulled it and reseated it and then the brake lights miraculously started working along with the hazard. I SAY MOSTLY because once the hazards are activated on the steering column it then only one hazard works and no brake lights again. Re-seat the round hazard switch again and whalla it works. Seems there maybe a short in the steering column after all. As long as I don't activate the hazards everything works fine. I did try and replace the Hazard relay switch and it still did the same thing. So for now... no hazards until I decide to take the steering wheel apart to test the wires.
Unread 09-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #20
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

It's good to hear that you may have solved the problem! I had a similar problem with my '68 chevy truck. I finally got the turn signals and the brake lights to work by replacing the turn signal cam, but I, like you, don't have the four-way flashers operating.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:22 PM   #21
Briancanadian12

Any resolution?

Hey, I am having the same issue with a 94 yj now, and was just wondering if you ever solved this issue. We replaced all bulbs and break light switch as well, to no success. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Briancanadian12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #22
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

No I never solved it. Though I'm sure it's something in the steering column. I had to replace my whole column when the tilt wheel busted. Taking the steering column all apart is a major PITA so I'm gonna just leave it as it is. Sorry I couldn't be any more help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.