92 YJ Rear Brake Lights not working??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 YJ Rear Brake Lights not working???

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 09-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 YJ Rear Brake Lights not working???

My rear lights work as well as the backup lights but when I step on the brake pedal the brake lights don't come on (rear lights stay on but brake lights don't come on). Checked/changed bulbs and checked all fuses and connections, even replaced the control switch on the pedal for when you release the brakes. Can anyone think of a reason why everything but the brake lights work??
Thanks.

t2timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone ever encounter this problem??
I still cannot figure out whats wrong... electronics suck!!
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Do your 4 ways work?

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Good question... Just went out and tested them and they all work except the left rear... I pulled that working bulb and replaced it with another working bulb and it still didn't work. Checked that left rear connector (in the quarter well) again and still no worky. Funny how the right rear is blinking with the hazards on, and I mean that it stays lit with the parking lights and then get's brighter (like brake lights being applied) when the hazards are on.
Unread 09-24-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you replace the brake light switch?

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

Unread 09-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes I did. The pedal switch with the button that is depressed once you step on the pedal. Someone on another forum said his 87 Cherokee had two types of switches on the pedal... I didn't see 2 and this is a YJ, but I may double check that.
Unread 09-24-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did it look like this? Click on the pic to make it smaller.

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

Unread 09-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #8
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yup that's it. Put a new one in and still same issue.
Unread 09-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #9
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok follow the wires up to where you pluged them in. Then go to the next connecter and make sure it is pluged in tight.

Do you have AC?

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

Unread 09-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #10
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

OK, that's my next test. I'm gonna buy an inline tester and do that too. I appreciate your help. I was hoping maybe it was a common issue that someone can point directly too. NO A/C in the jeep.
Unread 09-24-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

The brakelight system also runs through the turn signal switch. Verify that power is running TO your brakelight and turn signal switches. Start from the source, the fuse block, and check the components and connectors as you move back. How do the ground wires look at the housings? Corrosion can sometimes break the electrical pathways.
Unread 09-24-2010, 12:06 PM   #12
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna rip into it more tonight. Really, through the turn signal switch? That sounds odd because when a turn signal goes out the brake lights still work? Either way, I'm gonna start from the fuse block like you suggest and the work my way back.. I doubt it's one one of the wires running down the frame rail but who knows.
Unread 09-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
remmons
Senior moments member.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Yes. The power runs through a single wire from the fuseblock, which is controlled by a switched source (your ignition switch), to the brake light switch, it then runs as a single wire to the turn switch assy. where it divides into the left and the right circuits. When the turn signal is operated, it momentarily interrupts the power in a cycling action to the turn signal bulb(s), thus the blinking.
Unread 09-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
t2timmy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok didn't know that. Great knowledge, I thank you sir.
Hmmm then could that lead to an issue in the steering column wiring??? Sadly enough I'm on my second steering column because the old one broke at the tilt mechanism. I replaced it a couple of years ago and all lights were fine including the brake lights. But it came loose again last year and I had to take off the steering wheel and part of the column again to re-tighten the bolts. Ever since then whenever I turn hard to the right and then go to straighten out the wheel the horn beeps itself.... rather funny whenever I turn into a road on the right it beeps and people stare at me, or when you pull into a gas station with hot chics in the car in front of you it works to your advantage ..... could the problem be in the steering column blinker lever or something??
Unread 09-24-2010, 02:43 PM   #15
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

The left rear not coming on doesn't surprise me that much. Every 6 months or so I need to pull my left rear light assembly and clean the contacts. The seal on the housing is terrible and I get insane corrosion on the left rear contacts. I'll either lose the front left or back left turn signal which is a clue to me to crack it open and clean the contacts.

It took me quite a bit of time to figure out that this was the problem because it kept coming back again and again. Many of the symptoms you describe were present with me as well. A good solid cleaning of the contacts front and rear and the system started working again. Now I pull it all apart whenever my left side turn signal stops working, clean it up, and it works again for 6 months or so.
Rproject is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.