'92 YJ Locker/Limited-slip - Which can be self installed? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '92 YJ Locker/Limited-slip - Which can be self installed?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 03-20-2002, 07:47 PM   #1
Missin44

'92 YJ Locker/Limited-slip - Which can be self installed?

For a fare self wrencher, which lockers or limted slips can be self installed? At the moment I'm looking at the Lock Right, which I know I can do. Not sure about any of the others. For the record..Having OX Lockers installed up front, no way am I going to try that. R&P all black magic to me. Looking for good street manners, good off road also. Would prefer the True Trac in back but not sure extra $$ will get much better street manners, and very very skechy on doing self install, even though R&P will not be changed. Not to excited about Lock Right street manners, especially in snow and ice. Though it seems easy to just remove the Lock Right in winter and reinstall in spring. Just so you know basicly commited to OX up front, R&P has to be changed so to me,if I'm going to an OX it just makes more $$ sense to do the front. I would much prefer to do self install in rear, I'm a correct that the Lock Right is my only choice, or should I look at something else? Any other ideas?

'92 YJ, 4.0L, 5 spd, OX Locked front, 4:10 gears, BDS 3.5" lift, reverse shackles, Ford 8.8 Limited-slip rear, York OBA, JB Conversions SYE Kit, CV driveshft, Centerforce II clutch, Big Daddy Step Rock Rails, Skid Row Top Prop, Big Daddy OffRoad Front Bumper, Yokahoma Geolander 32's, Rokmen Riddler differential cover
Missin44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2002, 08:36 PM   #2
evilpsych

as for ease of installation and good street manners.. get the powertrax no-slip

if you want super street and offroad performance, an OX or an ARB is what you need but you'll need to have that installed by someone that can set the R&P right..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2002, 06:30 PM   #3
Tailgummer

The only way you can get around the R&P issue is to go with a lock rite or ez locker etc. Everything else will require removal and replacement of the carrier which will require resetting the gears. You may get lucky by just swapping the bearings and shims and still get the same pattern.
The Ox Loc and ARB's are running about the same price. People I have talked to that have used the Ox loc's have generally been happy once they got the cables routed correctly. As they tell me that is something of a b..ch. ARB is a great setup but is pricey. If you already have onboard air (and you should) you won't need their compressor.
For the money, a limited slip axle gives very poor offroad performance, though the on road manners a very good.
My opinion (and is just "my" opinion)the ARB's are hard to beat in the long run. OEM street manners and ultimate in offraod abilities.
WWW.4x4xnorthwest.com
Tailgummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2002, 10:16 AM   #4
V8wrangler_idaho

ring and pinion. I would just change them yourself. Its really not that hard. You would want a full day to play around with it though. I did it myself both frount and back and haven't had any problems. Its really pretty easy. The back is easyer then the frount but frount is pretty easy too. You pretty mcuh put the same shimms that were in the gearing origonally back in with the new rp or same size with the new one. but you would want a full day or 2 to do it. the back for me went really easy. The frount was alittl harder. I had to take out the pinon quite a few times and add and remove shimms to make it sit in there correctly. Just don't be in a hurry and you can do it. You just have to make sure that the pinion spins easy and that there is no forward or backward motion that the pinion can do and that the space between the ring and pinion dosen;t have much play. once you get in there a take the other rp appart you can see how its supposed to feel and how its set up. Just take your time don't be in a rush. really simple

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2002, 11:07 AM   #5
Missin44

Funny thig was, I was going to attempt the R&P install myself, for better or worse. But I found a shop with a great reputation thats doing the R&P install, OX Locker install that includes running the cable for $350 labor. To me it seemed like a no brainer, pay the $350.
'92 YJ, 4.0L, 5 spd, OX Locked front, 4:10 gears, BDS 3.5" lift, reverse shackles, Ford 8.8 Limited-slip rear, York OBA, JB Conversions SYE Kit, CV driveshft, Centerforce II clutch, Big Daddy Step Rock Rails, Skid Row Top Prop, Big Daddy OffRoad Front Bumper, Yokahoma Geolander 32's, Rokmen Riddler differential cover
Missin44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.