92 YJ - First Jeep,Build and Blog - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 YJ - First Jeep,Build and Blog

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #1
Handsomefloyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 YJ - First Jeep,Build and Blog

Hello - After picking up my first Jeep back in March I quickly joined the JeepForum and was immediately inspired by what I saw. So, here is my Jeep story......

92 YJ purchased from the parents of a great friend of mine. This is a one owner Jeep from Florida with 110k to date.
Basically what the Jeep looked like when I purchased her. Although the photo is a few years old

Records from PO, who did the work himself. Notice from Feb 97 to now that only 31k was put on the jeep.

Where my story begins...

Handsomefloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Handsomefloyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was told before purchase that the windshield would need to be replaced. Once removed though it turned out that both corners were also rotted. I picked up a used windshield, and brought the jeep to a local custom shop for repair.

Unread 06-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
deathstar
1995 YJ Wrangler 

looking good so far. Good luck and have fun.
deathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
Handsomefloyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Around late April I got her all back together and have been driving her around on the weekends as I collected parts for the Suspension. I ended up with the following:

-2.5in OME Leaf Springs (36R's on all 4 corners) - Craigslist find, installed but never driven.
- OME shocks - Craigslist find, installed driven for 5k, then removed.
- Daystar shackles, 5/8 lift. Craigslist find, installed but never driven.
- New Ubolts
- New Rubicon Express Steering Stabilizer

I decided I would tackle this lift myself and worked on it on and off for a couple weeks. Finally finishing up today. Well, kind of.....

Before lift rear.

Before lift front.

Work in progress pics:

Unread 06-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
Handsomefloyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Lift Installed.

Well I got much more then I bargained for with the OME 2.5 inch springs. I gained a full 4" in the rear and 3" up front. I should also mention that during the install, I removed both track bars but kept the front sway and installed RE quick disconnects.

On my maiden voyage I observed the following: 1.The RE steering stabilizer was not up to par with what was previously on the jeep. My steering felt very sloppy, so I retreated back to the house and put the old one back on. That helped, but maybe I have some other underlying problem? 2. I'm getting some vibrations around 30mph, and a strange almost grinding sound when engaging the clutch around 40/50 mph.

From reading through the forums I know I have a few options here to counter the drive line vibrations. I think the simplest would be a Transfer case drop. My questions to other forum members is - would raising the engine 1" also give me the same benefit as the T-case drop?

Finally, and a little off subject. My steering wheel is about a quarter turn off from straight when the jeep is traveling straight down the road. What's the best way to go about fixing/adjusting? Thanks in advance.
Unread 06-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
Handsomefloyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Any recommendations for steering stabilizers? I'm thinking of just going with the OME one.
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
scubamc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsomefloyd View Post
Any recommendations for steering stabilizers? I'm thinking of just going with the OME one.
If all your other steering components are in good condition I wouldn't run one. They are good for masking problems. I took mine off a year after I bought my YJ and didn't notice a difference.

You have a nice YJ there.
Unread 06-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #8
Handsomefloyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Hmmm, after some more research I realize my wandering/loose steering could be a combination of the following. Original pitman arm isn't tight, or I need a drop pitman arm. Possibly could need an alignment (toe in), or the 5/8 lift shackles are causing some bump steer. I will say before the lift, I had zero steering problems.
Unread 06-11-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey there fellow CT jeeper. Yes a motor mount lift will basically do the same thing as a transfer case drop but may or may not be enough for your situation. As said before, there shouldnt be a need for a steering stabilizer if all other components are up to snuff. I also chose not to run the drop pitman arm, have 1" lift shackles too and Ill say that when I got my jeep stock, it handled much worse than it did after I lifted it and thats after ditching the sway and track bars too.
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #10
Handsomefloyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I keep hearing that I shouldn't need a steering stabilizer. I think my plan of attack will be torque the Pitman arm, then get an alignment. As for the vibration, I'm going to temporarily drop the T-Case and see if that helps.
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #11
Handsomefloyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I had an alignment done this morning. Jeep tracks perfectly straight, but I realized what I was calling bumpsteer may really just be play in my steering box.
I have about a half inch side to side play at the steering wheel before the wheels turn. When I grab the steering shaft right above the steering box I can turn the shaft about a quarter of an inch before the pitman arm moves. Before the lift I never noticed this, but I'm thinking the lift may have accentuated the problem????

I'm going to try the steering box adjustment today.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...riteup-498155/
Unread 06-11-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Theres also the "roll" in the steering setup that our YJs come with. When you turn the steering wheel, the tie rod ends kind of "roll" before they move the tires. I couldnt really think of another way to explain that but Im sure someone else will chime in
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 04:16 PM   #13
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome work so far!! IMO there is nothing like a clean white YJ!
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
Handsomefloyd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Prepping for Monstaliner -

Unread 10-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #15
drgonzo92
2003 WJ 

First off, nice ride. I had a 92 and I also put the OME lift on it. Loved it. Ride and flex was great. I did have the same situation as you. I ditched the track bars. Only ran the sway bar. I put an SYE kit in mine to account for the vibration. I did run the transfer case drop for maybe 2 weeks and had minimal vibes. You can do a motor mount lift, but most of them require a 1" body lift. If your fine with that, then go for it. I liked the extra strength of the SYE Kit and Tom Woods driveshaft. As for the wandering and bumpsteer, I did upgrade my SS. I went with a Rancho upgrade, but the OME is a better one. I ended up having to put a drop pitman arm on mine. Alot of people dont need it, and some people do. Once i did that on mine, and got an alignment, it was perfect. Ran it for 8 years no issues. If you are gonna wheel it, i might get different rear shackles. I had ones similar to yours in the rear, and when flexing, the rear shackle comes back and the crossbar in the shackle hits the frame. Alot of people get the boomerangs for that reason. Best of luck with this build. I will keep an eye on it. Reminds me of mine.
drgonzo92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.