92 yj coolant problem!! Help!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 yj coolant problem!! Help!!!

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 08-21-2012, 09:07 PM   #1
gunnar92yj

92 yj coolant problem!! Help!!!

92 yj - 2.5 4 banger 5 speed.

driving around the other day and my jeep just fell on its face and quit. got out, checked fuel pressure....good. checked spark...good. got back in, started right up and made it home. took another look and noticed my top radiator hose was HOT and under serious pressure. bottom hose is hard too but cold. ?? so i replaced the t stat. still same symptoms. guys im stumped...maybe a clogged waterjacket in the head.....i hope someone says its not that....god please no. HELP PLEASE!

gunnar92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 03:53 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

water pump.... But then again head gasket. Change the pump and hope for the best.
Highly doubt you could clog the engine up to point no water flowed. When you pull pump you will see why.
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Have you checked your spark plugs yet? Want to see if you have any coolant smell. Have you run a vacuum test yet? It would let you know if you blew a head gasket. A blown water pump or clogged engine block wouldn't make the engine quit. This has to do with the combustion chamber.

Take care.

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
gunnar92yj

im not losing any coolant. no coolant in my oil. ill check my plugs. i know there is a sensor on the thermostat housing that goes to the ECU. i was thinking that the ecu cuts my ignition when the temperature gets too extreme. and would the blown head gasket impede water flow? the motor dies with absolutley no hesitation what so ever, just like you turned the key off. thats why i was leaning towrd a computer driven shut down due to high temp.????
gunnar92yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 05:58 PM   #5
1SASjeepster
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If the engine is just cutting off, I tend to agree with you. It may well be electrical. When you pulled your radiator cap off, and your thermostat opened up, did you witness a lot of water movement through the opening? If little, I would say the pump is gone. This may well be a combination problem, where the actual problem is affecting the ECU to cut off everything to protect the engine.

Take care,

Check out "WWII Jeep Photos AND Restoration of..." if you want to see the original JEEP in action...
1SASjeepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Jeepsr4me

Pump then. Cheap and easy to do.
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant , overheat , radiator , thermostat

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.