92 yj clutch slave cylinder leaking..... AGAIN!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 yj clutch slave cylinder leaking..... AGAIN!!

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-15-2007, 02:21 PM   #1
joeyjojojunior

92 yj clutch slave cylinder leaking..... AGAIN!!

A couple of years ago, my master cylinder went out on my 92 Jeep YJ (about 130,00 miles). I figure, well, this is a job I can do. I have limited mechanical skills, and thought this was well within my capabilities. Bought the part online somewhere, can't rember the web site (I think it was about $65). Not sure of the "quality" of the part. Got the cylinder, put it in, and bled the system. The slave cylinder is internal, so the bleed screw is coming out of the bell housing. I don't know if I put enough counter force when unscrewing the bleeder screw. Well, seemed like everything was working fine.
A few months later, clutch was feeling spongy, and fluid levels were low. Examined the master cylinder, looked fine. Looked underneath, fluid leaking from bell housing. I thought, "now I screwed something up". Referring to my Haynes manual, it told me I would have to drop the transmission to get to the slave cylinder. I did not feel comfortable doing this. Brought my jeep to local mechanic to have the problem fixed (and since they were down there, I had the clutch replaced too). Cost me about $900 if I remember correctly.
Well, since this is not not primary vehicle, I only drove it occasionally, on the weekends mainly. So, after about 6 months, with minimal miles put on it, the slave cylinder started leaking, again. I called up the mechanic, and he stated it was outside the warranty period. About $300 later, it was fixed. I asked him if it could be faulty master cylinder, he said he doubted it. I didn't feel comfortable with the answer, so I went out and purchased another master cylinder (I think it was from Autozone) and installed it (probably should have went with Mopar).
Last week, guess what happened??? Yep, you got it, slave cylinder leaking... AGAIN! And with my luck, the time of year when it's great to own a Jeep, Fall time! Seemed like it lasted a little longer than previously, but still with relatively low miles (probably no more than 5000 miles).
I'm completely baffled. What the heck is going on??? Here are my questions.

1) What could be the issue? Why is this occurring to me so often with so few miles on the new clutch?

2) How difficult and costly would it be to replace my internal slave cylinder with an external cylinder. I believe the 92 and 93 models were the only years that had the internal cylinder. I believe this would involve a new bell housing at a minimum, but not sure what else would be needed. Would a shop do this, or am I on my own?

Thanks..

joeyjojojunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

to go external slave you will need a new bellhousing, new master/slave and I'm not sure what else.

If you do a google on it you will find a parts list I'm sure.

Having a shop do it? You will need a shop willing to go off the book and fab a little. Here in NYC where I live thats a hard thing to find.

Do the research, buy the tools and do it yourself!
I'm sure others on this board who have done the swap will help you
ufatbastehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
martells2
1993 YJ Wrangler 

where in NYC are you?
Unread 09-15-2007, 04:42 PM   #4
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by martells2
where in NYC are you?

Middle Village, Zip 11379
Unread 09-15-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Is this one of the slaves where you have to reuse the pressure and bleeder lines? I've only had to replace a line once but if he's using the wrong o-rings that would account for your repeat failure.
Unread 09-20-2007, 06:39 PM   #6
joeyjojojunior

Quote:
but if he's using the wrong o-rings that would account for your repeat failure.
I'm not sure what o-rings were used. I would hope they were the correct ones since I took it to a shop, but who the heck knows.. If they consistently used the wrong ones, that would explain the multiple failures.

If it were you, would you just fix the existing slave cylinder, or go down the path of getting an external slave put on. I realize the later would be a lot more work and $$$. I'm not looking to sell this Jeep, would like to keep it as long as I can, so I want to take that into consideration too.
Unread 09-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #7
Squiz
1991 YJ Wrangler 

YJ Clutch

I'm also frustrated with the repeated failures of the hydraulic clutch on my 91 YJ. After many attempts at repair using discount parts, genuine Mopar parts, DIY or certified Jeep service center, I've condluded (along with others) that this design is problematic (it sux) so I've researched some possbile conversions. My decision is to stick with standard Jeep parts, no special fabrication or machining, and of course I have a tight BUDGET. So I started crawling around underneath my vehicles, searched all over Google and Jeep forums and got to a point where I think (emphasis on "think") I know what I'm doing. I have a 97 Cherokee with the 4.0L, AX15 tranny, same drive train as my YJ. Difference is, the Cherokee has the external slave cylinder clutch design that has worked flawlessly for 10 years (and still going). So I plan to use Cherokee parts on my YJ. Are they the same as the external slave cylinder design on later model YJs or TJs? I don't know and could not get a difinitive answer from my Jeep parts counter guy. So from what I see with my own eyes on my own vehicles and from what I've read throughout Jeep cyberland, I have a plan that might just work and I hope it might help you.

Converting to the external slave cylinder, I'll need a new front bearing retainer for the tranny (AX15), new bellhousing, pivot fork, pivot points, throw out bearing, and new master/slave/hose assembly, all from a 97 Cherokee. Shopping for a mix of new and junkyard parts and a weekend in the garage is all that's left. I'll post my results.

Squiz
Squiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 08:46 AM   #8
versoel
2009 JK Wrangler 

i had the same problem with the clutch kit i bought from autozone. i replaced EVERYTHING in attempts to figure out why i was still getting air into my clutch system. I them pulled it out and replaced it again. The parts didnt cost me anything more though. The one i got from autozone had a lifetime warrenty and I did the labor myself. It was a problem that it cost me a day of my life that I could have been improving my jeep versus fixing stuff that should have worked.
versoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #9
GreyfoxVt
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Easy Fix

Ok, this happened to my 95 YJ also, and similar to you, when I was replacing a faulty AX5 Transmission (missing 5th gear), I pulled the clutch out, and replaced that ($140.00 from Quadratec), and while there, replaced the Master Cylinder Clutch and system with another kit (also from Quadratec $110.00). This fixed my problems, not not oly do I have a new transmission, but a new and tight clutch, with a new and non-slipping clutch pedel, and NO LEAKS!

The installation is not that bad, and if replacing just the clitch kit, can be done without even pulling the transmission if you have an external clutch piston mounted to the outside of the bell housing. This will all depend on the model and year you have.

In any case, this is a great replacement if you have over 100,000 miles on your rig!
GreyfoxVt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
grenMEG
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So i had the same problem, i bought three different slave master cylinders and started getting after it. One from omix-ada one from advanced and one from NAPA they all had the same problem they were plastic, always seemed to tear the threads on the bleeder screw because of the plastic, and they would always seem to be spongy. Actually one of the extending rods on the advanced part was to short and fell of in my transmission luckily i was able to fish it out with a magnet pen.
Anyways...i have started a company making our own, never replace again master and slave cylinder kits. They are for "OFF-Highway" use only, but if you are interested they will cost about 3/4 of what quadratec charges. Not trying to advertise, just trying to help. PM me if interested
grenMEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #11
joeyjojojunior

Quote:
Converting to the external slave cylinder, I'll need a new front bearing retainer for the tranny (AX15), new bellhousing, pivot fork, pivot points, throw out bearing, and new master/slave/hose assembly, all from a 97 Cherokee. Shopping for a mix of new and junkyard parts and a weekend in the garage is all that's left. I'll post my results.
Squiz, I'm very curious to see how this turns out for you. Are you planning on doing it soon? If everything is as straight forward as it appears to be, I'll be doing it also.
Unread 10-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #12
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufatbastehd
to go external slave you will need a new bellhousing, new master/slave and I'm not sure what else.
You will not need a new bellhousing. I have not done this swap but I do know that the same chevy bell housing was used for all AX-15's.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
ufatbastehd
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just read that old post I was researching doing this swap when my internal slave goes and here is some info I found which indicates a new bell housing is needed

"
First off all I would suggest replacing the internal slave with an
external. This will save you problems in the future and save you money,
cause if that internal slave starts leaking, you have to pull the
tranny. Believe its happened to me twice. All you need is:

- New bell housing from a 94/95 YJ,96 TJ and up
- Front bearing plate for tranny(has sleeve for bearing)
- External slave with at least 8" of hard line from slave to mate to
your original line
- Clutch fork
- New release bearing

The clutch pack to get would be for a 94/95 YJ. Believe me, you will
thank me later. Not only is the slave a lot easier to repair/replace it's
a lot cheaper as well. And its not that much more work at all. I would
say, max an hour.

----

In case anyone is tired of pulling the transmission on your
1992 Wrangler Just to replace a slave cylinder I'm passing
along this conversion info that I acquired when I converted
mine to the 1994 style.

The clutch, transmission and front bearing retainer are the
same on 1992 and 1994. This conversion only requires a 1994
bellhousing, clutch fork, release bearing and a 1994
Master/Slave cylinder. This is for 2.5 W/AX5

Parts:
Bellhousing Salvage Yard P/N 408-00867 USD$70
Clutch Fork xtremeterrain.com P/N 52107555 USD$30
Release Bearing BCA P/N 614093 USD$41
Master/Slave Assy. xtremeterrain.com P/N 52104113 USD$100

For less than $300 you can eliminate a major pain. "
Unread 10-08-2007, 02:20 PM   #14
joeyjojojunior

Hey ufatbastehd, thanks for the reply. I actually did find this post somewhere, but the only thing that concerned me was the:

Quote:
This is for 2.5 W/AX5
Should this matter? Other than the part numbers, do you think there would be any difference between the 2.5 liter and 4.0 liter engine?

rustywrangler, I guess if I look at my existing bellhousing, I should see some type of mounting for the external slave cylinder, and a hole for the clutch fork? If I see this, I will assume my bellhousing will work.

Thanks for everyone's input so far.
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:04 PM   #15
Busygirl8888
2008 JK Wrangler 

Clutch Slave Cylinder Leaking at 38,000miles??

You never know when dealerships rip you off and since I'm a young female, it wouldn't surprise me. I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4 door and just turned 38,000 miles. Recently my 4 wheel drive was not engaging after the last snow storm and apparently they had to order a Shifter because it's broken inside the TCase (what ever that means). Now in order to replace that, they have to take apart my clutch and they found the clutch slave cylinder leaking. Leaking hydrolic fluid I imagine. WTF?!

Is it normal to have these kind of issues with your Jeep at only 38,000 miles?? Of course the warranty only lasts until 36,000 miles.... It's as if they plan on your car breaking down right after the warranty. Bastards.
Busygirl8888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.