92 yj clunk noise when starting off help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 yj clunk noise when starting off help

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-09-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
92yjpittman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 yj clunk noise when starting off help

i have 92 yj 2.5 it was clunking when starting off in 1st it has dones this before but i had 5th gear fixed at tranny shop and he said the skid plate was full of mud. well when i got it back it didnt clunk anymore until last night i went wheeling got stuck and when i got out it started clunking again so i looked under it and saw the skid plate was full of mud again. Could this be my problem i know al the joints are good and my driver side motor mount is bad . the noise sound like its coming from beneath me thenks for any help

92yjpittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 05:03 AM   #2
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

kinda sounds like its a u joint on a driveshaft. does it do it in 4wheel or 2 wheel or both?
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2010, 08:53 AM   #3
92yjpittman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

not real sure havent tried that i did see that the transfer case is sitting on the skid plate and the plate has a dent from where it was sitting. it also does this if im going slow and hit a bumb
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:27 AM   #4
92yjpittman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i replaced the motor mount and it took it muddin never made any clunks works good now i also replaced the valve cover gasket and the top of the motor was full of carbon. does anyone know what i can do to clean it up. i just bought the jeep month ago it has 2.5 with 122k miles on jeep
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
fitbmxseries1
1987 YJ Wrangler 

pour a can of seafoam in your crank case 30 miles before an oil change or some other oil flush.
fitbmxseries1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.