92 yj chief hybrid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 yj chief hybrid

Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.com

Unread 08-31-2013, 09:08 AM   #1
jaglusby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 yj chief hybrid

need help wondering if any one has ever done this i just want to keep my yj tub and frame i got a cherokee chief form my dads friend for free unfortunately the frame is crunched and the body is pretty beat but no rust it has a amc 360 with a t-18 not sure if its the t-18a or not d20 transfer case and d44 axles wondering what i really have to do because form out side to outside on the front leafs on my yj is 33.5in and the chief is 34.5 havent i know i have to use the transfer case if i want to use the axles because its a passenger pumpkin.

my yj is a 2.5 with the ax5 and np231 with the stock axles and a 3in body lift on it turning 35s went to oc jeep week and she is just about worn out afer a hard weekend so i think it is finally time to to the swap

so if anyone has any knowledge of this swap can you please let me know

jaglusby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You can swap anything if you are willing to grind, cut, and weld
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #3
jaglusby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

willing to do anything i know aa make an kit for $175 for the engine mounts to fit the 360 in the yj frame but i do still want to make sure i can drive it to school and around town but for far trips my brother is about to invest in a goose neck and a bigger truck to haul our jeeps
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #4
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

That engine, and a larger one came in cjs so it should be fine in a yj
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Technically swapping the drive train from a older vehicle into a newer one is illegal

I would just swap the axles then regear them to 5.13 for the 35's
Unread 08-31-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
jaglusby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
Technically swapping the drive train from a older vehicle into a newer one is illegal

I would just swap the axles then regear them to 5.13 for the 35's

i live in md where if your car is over 20 years old which my yj is then it is historic and i dont have to go through inspection
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Is that a west coast law? I have heard that in Cali and states that have real strict laws but not heard it mentioned anywhere else?

Its an interesting thing to find out because if its a federal law, then people should actually know about it for reference when they do swaps
Unread 08-31-2013, 12:31 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaglusby View Post
i live in md where if your car is over 20 years old which my yj is then it is historic and i dont have to go through inspection
It still does not matter, Maryland follows the EPA's guidelines as to what constitutes a "certified configuration." A certified configuration is an engine/chassis/emission equipment combination that has been approved by the EPA prior to the production of that vehicle. If the engine you want to use is not EPA-certified for use in your car, then it is illegal in Maryland.

PER EPA :

You cannot put any engine into your vehicle that was produced prior to the vehicle's date of manufacture, but you can install a newer engine into your vehicle, provided that you use all of the emissions equipment designed for its original application. The only exceptions to this law are vehicles produced before 1972, which were produced before national emissions regulations went into effect.
Unread 08-31-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
jaglusby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

well it is what it is but i will still be doing the swap but will also be talking with the sheriff and contacting the epa it says that i can fill out some paper work and they may approve the motor swap my ax-5 isnt going to last much longer( and when i got the jeep didnt really do much search because i didnt have time ) so if someone could help me with some more info that would be great
Unread 09-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
jaglusby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

and also the d44 front out of the chief is a passenger side pumpkin how do i change all the stuff over so i dont end up with bumpsteer or any big problems like that the tcase is not a problem because i am useing the entire drive train if anyone could help that would be great
Unread 09-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Just swap everything. The axle also.

Good info on the epa stuff
Unread 09-02-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

If the motor is from 1978 to 1991, It was rated at a whopping 160 horsepower. But if you have your mind made up, get out the torches and duck tape. Should make for an entertaining thread...
Unread 09-02-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
jaglusby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

ya when i found out it was only 160 hp stock got a little disappointed but i does have a holly 750 and i will be getting better heads as for the ones on it now one has had the cover off for 20 years but the motor is not stuck and im not loosing any thing because i got the chief for free from one of my dads friends who crunched the frame but drive train is in good shape and only had like 3000 miles on it when it was forgotten about at the bottom of a hill in the woods wish i would have took some pictures of us getting it up the hill and surprisingly the tires held air after 20 years i will post pictures tomorrow after school of my yj and the chief and if anyone needs any original chief parts let me know
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #14
jaglusby
1992 YJ Wrangler 

had the 360 turning over over today with the battery from the yj through jumper cables no sharp sounds no metal to metal noise had the plugs out and poured oil all over rockers and valve springs and in the cylinders and turned turned it over for a bit to lube up the cylinders after sitting for 20 years
imag0564_1.jpg   imag0565_1.jpg  
Unread 09-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wow. 20 years left in the woods? It looks pretty good

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.