Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

'92 YJ Build/Resto

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Rob91 
#1 ·
So just a little background. Bought the jeep about 3 years ago, it was in pretty good shape. I just did enough to keep it running at the time. Added a soft top a 4" RE lift and put hurcaliner on the floor. I drove it for about a year as a daily driver and now have a truck so its time to restore it. Last July it wouldnt pass smog. Pulled the head and found burnt valves, bad valve guides and seals, and a blown head gasket. I pulled the engine to rebuild it and one thing led to another and next i knew, i was taking the body off :confused:. I almost have it back together completely so i figured it was time to start a thread. Enjoy.
I cant find my pics from when i first got it. ill try to add them in the next couple days if i can.
sorry for some of the crappy pictures, i dont have anything except my phone in the shop with me.:brickwall

Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive exterior

the distruction begins. the inside was a mess. the PO really screwed up the wiring.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design Gas

the battery had leaked acid everywhere causing rust throughout the engine compartment and frame

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

the frame after being stripped down prepped and painted.

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Automotive tire

The newly rebuilt 4.0l

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Engineering

most of the drivetrain back together.

See less See more
#2 ·
I did all the body worked myself and was fairly surprised how the paint turned out. Both back corners were crushed, the front end had been pounded to death with gravel and the passenger door had got personal with a tree. I used PPG single stage paint with a filler/base coat

Vehicle Motor vehicle Tree Road surface Wood

The freshly painted body arrives from getting a fresh coat of paint inside and out
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Automotive design

the assembly begins
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire

i repainted all of the trim parts
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive design

more progress

#8 ·
Wow is the correct term! Great work so far. I like the new color. What did you use to cut your metal?

:cheers2:

#12 ·
Finally got some time and parts in. including an A/C kit from jeepair.com
i know i know you saying, A/C in a jeep!?!?! i hear ya it wasnt my personal choice. someone else will be also driving this jeep and they said they couldnt drive it without air, and they paid for it, sooo i went with it. ill still drive it with no top and no doors tho. :2thumbsup:

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Amber Vehicle

all new electrical. no more of the previous junk
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Vehicle

the trusty(sometimes) chilton's manual on hand.
Hood Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas

engine is running at this point. most of engine compartment is done.
Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Tire Car

put grille radiator and condenser in
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive lighting

progress so far on the inside.
dont worry ill be redoing the floorpan. the paint got a little messy

#13 ·
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Audio equipment Auto part Bumper

dash being installed. the dash used to be the OEM bluish greenish color in the sahara's but i fixed that with some SEM flexible coating. everything is now black. the SEM paint is pretty amazing stuff. i also threw in some new speakers and a marine radio.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Hood

forgot to add this pic earlier. these are the mounting tabs for the front bumper.

#14 ·
DANNNNNNG! can you do mine next? haha.

#19 ·
you know ive been tossing the idea around about starting to build stuff to sell and just havent done it yet. this summer when school is out i might fab up a bunch of bumpers and sell them.
What would you all be willing to pay for one of these bumpers? front or rear

#20 ·
I wasnt able to get much done this weekend. I found this blown out heim joint on my truck this weekend which is my DD so it took most of my time. However, i was able to get rid of the ugly color on the wheels and put in a new windshield. I also threw a seat in and took it around the block for the very first time. It did good. No major problems, i just dont have any brakes yet. A little bleeding should fix that.
Natural material Gas Auto part Composite material Metal

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.