'92 YJ - 4th and 5th gear grind. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > '92 YJ - 4th and 5th gear grind.

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 02-24-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
tylercap
1992 YJ Wrangler 

'92 YJ - 4th and 5th gear grind.

Hey folks, I've got a problem I'd like to run past you if you don't mind.

I've got a '92 YJ Wrangler with pretty much stock everything. Over the last few years I've been abroad and only back a few days a year to drive it. I came back permanently in late 2008 and have been driving it ever since. Over that period of time I've noticed a ear-piercing grind develop in 4th and 5th gear. You can just barely hear it creeping into 3rd gear and the higher the gear, the louder it gets. It only seems to start once I get up to around 40mph. It still shifts and drives just fine, but the noise is almost unbearable and I'm afraid something is about to blow. It sounds like it is coming from the transmission (AX5, 4 cylinder)...

So I changed out my transmission fluid today, with no change. I have little to no mechanical knowledge when it comes to cars and I could use a little help figuring out what this is. I'm terrified that the transmission is about to go out because it's my only transportation and I don't have the money to put into fixing anything expensive right now. Any ideas?

tylercap is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.