92 YJ 2.5l engine rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 YJ 2.5l engine rebuild

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 05-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #1
jeepjunky92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 YJ 2.5l engine rebuild

Ok heres the back story....2.5l loose oil pressure.Mine was due to warn out cam bearings. I picked up a 2.5l engine from i think a 93 jeep wrangler for $50.00. Engine had locked up on PO so i desided to do a rebuild on it for my Jeep.I had the block bored out 40 over and had the crank turned(just to be safe) I ported and polished the intake and exaust ports. put in and lapped in new exaust valves and intake valves. woke up sunday morning early and started un rapping new rebuild kit and all the parts from the machine shop.Got started on assembly around 11 am.It was a job from hell let me tell you.Getting bare block turned into a short block was easy but then the trouble started, got the lifters in and the head on and a socket desided to jump to its death down into the pushrod holes so i flipped the engine over on the stand so it could fall out and all the lifters fell out so i spent the neft hour geting them back installed. got the tork spects of line and it said 80lbs tork on the oil pan bolts and well thats not right, i broke 2 off in the oil pan so had to drill and easy out the bolts.heres some picks up to that point

imag0055.jpg   imag0056.jpg   imag0057.jpg   imag0058.jpg   imag0060.jpg  

Unread 05-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
jeepjunky92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

OK got the engine put mostly together and ready to install, Old motor is out! dropped new engine in were it goes and it dropped right in (only easy thing so far).time to hook up the engine accs......PROBLEM the intacke thar was on the motor when i got it is different then the one on my 92 engine, just the spot that the power steering mounts to so i had to pull intake back off and put the one from my old engine on there.Long story short i got it installed and was ready to put in the distributed.Took forever to get it right(there is no adjusting the distributer so it has to be just so.got all done filled fluids and double checked every thing was tight....now time to fire it up.Starts almost immediatly.Checked for leeks and there were none so was time to test drive...no real power so i re did distributer again and that was better.So i desided to check oil leval and.........milky....Whater in the oil turns out the head has a crack so now i have to port/polish install new valves on old engines head and re install this weekend.heres picks to were i am now...
imag0064.jpg   imag0065.jpg   imag0066.jpg   imag0067.jpg   imag0071.jpg  

Unread 05-18-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

what are we looking at here?
just a little blurry

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #4
jeepjunky92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

sorry about picks taken with cell phone the first pics are of the head porting and the block getting the crank installed secound set of pics are of the motor almost ready to drop in
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:16 PM   #5
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepjunky92yj View Post
sorry about picks taken with cell phone the first pics are of the head porting and the block getting the crank installed secound set of pics are of the motor almost ready to drop in
No reason to say sorry.
The motor just looks bigger than a 4 banger to me. But i've not seen one out of the engin bay. or B/C the pic are nice size!

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2011, 02:21 PM   #6
jeepjunky92yj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks but motor is really small out of bay i was real supprised theres enough room under the hood for two of these engines LOL that might not be a bad idea.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.