Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

92 yj 2.5 ltr engine oil leaking from dipstick tube, low oil pressure

8K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Flordaman 
#1 ·
Just bought a 2nd jeep, a 92 yj 2.5 liter with 217,000 miles. It was blowing oil on the passenger side of the engine compartment. I removed the valve cover, cleaned out the baffles (heavy build up), cleaned the ccv valve (the elbow in and the brass out), can blow through the plastic "hard line" to the manifold, and reset the cover with new gasket. Now the oil only dribbles out of the dipstick tube. Also, the oil pressure gauge shows it running at about 20 (lbs?) when first started, between 20 and maybe 5 once warmed up. I'm considering replacing the fuel sender switch. Any suggestions? I do not currently have any pressure gauges for manual testing. I did check the ccv lines for air flow.

#2 ·
I'll start out with a worst case scenario so the rest of the solutions will seem not as bad.

Worn rings creating more blow by than the CCV can handle.

And worn crank and or cam bearings bleeding off the oil pressure. You need an accurate gauge for a second opinion.

If these scenarios are accurate it's rebuild time.

What oil pressure fully warmed up at 2000 rpm and again at idle?

Changed the oil recently? Could it be thinned out from fuel contamination?

#3 ·
your dipstick leak is more that likely your oil pressure sender unit is bad. it is right in front of the dip stick. might be why the oil pressure is low too.

#4 ·
If the rings are worn enough to cause blowback into engine causing oil to push up the dipstick then it would also be burning oil and the exhaust would smoke a blue colour, does it ? also when running does smoke emit from the dipstick, is there pressure when you put your finger over the dipstick if yes check the engine breather pipes again to ensure they are not blocked, the oil pressure sender only measures the oil pressure it will not cause low oil pressure, also low oil pressure will not cause oil to flow up a dipstick. If you are burning oil, then the oil on the dipstick will be black like tar and smell burnt, I would change the oil anyway.

#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback! Changed the oil; dark, but not looking like tar or smelling burnt. Added some Slick 50 (figured it couldn't hurt). There is some smoke from the dipstick tube, but not noticeable pressure. In fact, not really leaking much now that the baffles have been cleaned. The oil pressure gauge is still reading at just under 20 when first started and driving at about 2000 rpms, idle drops to just above zero. My neighbor is bringing me a manual gauge to test the oil sender switch and see if its an accurate reading. I will update after that test is completed. Again, thanks for your responses!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.