Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

92 yj 2.5 ax5 lost 5th gear clutter noise plz help

4K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  92yjpittman 
#1 ·
i have 92 yj 2.5 ax-5 trany bone stock with 121k just bought it last week. I was driving bout 60mph in 5th hit brakes hard then when i hit the gas 5th was lost. makes ticking noise from tranny when idle. all other gears still work fine. any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
#4 ·
Nope. Broken clip is in the bottom of the rear case now. Ticking would be the loose gear backed off its splines and bouncing about loose on the rear part of the shaft.

#6 ·
Try post number 9 in the link I provided above.

#8 ·
This has not been substantiated by numerous other experienced Forum members who have experienced this problem.

#9 ·
I just completed the repair on this exact same problem . very easy repair I used the new clip and retainer collar from the post stated and it works PERFECT . had gotten a price of 500-700 dollars to rebuild the tranny and fix it . I tried this sure enough 5th gear had slipped back and i found the clip in the bottom . the repair was rather simple and was under say 80 bucks including all the fluids and parts . if you have any questions shoot me an email I will be glad to help in any way i can .
chuck

#10 ·
That tranny in the thread is mine. The fix was very easy to do for even me (Although I did have Max guiding me). Just make sure you don't lose any of the bolts and you're golden :D

Jake :tea:

#12 ·
Yes! Mine made all kinds of terrible rattling noises when it was idling in neutral. however, my main and counter 5th gears were destroyed and their teeth were sitting in the botom of the tranny.

I hope that this is not the case with you.

Jake :tea:

#17 ·
Glad it worked out for you. By any chance did you get any photos of any of this to post up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.