92 Wrangler Trouble Code 27 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 Wrangler Trouble Code 27

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 12-03-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Brigadier
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 Wrangler Trouble Code 27

Hello All,

Im in the process of registering my Wrangler and as of right now, I have temporary plates until I pass emissions. I have a check engine light on. The codes are as follows:
12, 33, 27, 27, 55

I know 12 is normal and 33 also because it does not have AC. I also know that 55 is the end of the sequence.
My question is what should I look at for the "27" code? (27 = Logic module fuel circuit internal problem or TBI injector does not respond properly to control signal).
My other question is, why would this code show up twice?

From what I've read, it sounds like the place to start is looking at the injectors one by one. Anyone have any tips for doing this? I do not have a volt meter.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

*** I also wanted to add that the Jeep seems to be running well and smooth.

Brigadier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
bharris68
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Good Day and welcome to the forums. I believe that if you check the forums a bit via "Search" you'll find that by disconnecting the battery terminals and tapping them together you'll clear out any trouble codes that have accumulated. If the Injectors have been replaced or repaired but the code not cleared then you'll have a messy set of data.

Once you've gotten that far, check the plugs one by one and see which ones may be slightly fouled which may indicate a clogged or dirty injector.
bharris68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 12:39 PM   #3
Brigadier
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you bharris. I've tried to clear the codes by disconnecting the battery with no success but this is the first Im hearing about tapping the terminal together. I will give it a shot. If that does not work, I will take a look at the plugs. I app your help.
I've searched the forums but couldn't really find any sort of solution to the specific problem.

Thank you again.
Unread 12-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #4
KA9GYX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Trouble code 27 for a 92 YJ is...

Fuel injector control

Last edited by KA9GYX; 12-03-2014 at 01:48 PM..
KA9GYX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Brigadier
1992 YJ Wrangler 

uhhh......
Unread 12-03-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
KA9GYX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure why I can't upload the codes, but thats what my manual says it is.
Unread 12-03-2014, 01:56 PM   #7
Brigadier
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks KA. I do know what the code means I just didn't know how to approach it.
Unread 12-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #8
KA9GYX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

You may want to visually inspect the wires going to your fuel injectors. Have you recently put your hands near any of the wires?..if so, you may have cracked the insulation. You may want to purchase a $20 volt/ohm meter and do some investigating with a resistance test from your ECU connector to the injector wires.
Unread 12-03-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Your jeep is one year too new! (has cel )

Tapping the wires together clears the capacitors. You could also pull the cables and try turning the key to on.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
Brigadier
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. If i use an ohm meter, would I just disconnect the terminal to the injector and test the voltage coming out of the wire? should it be 12v's? Is it simply a 2 wire connector or does it have multiple terminals within the connector? if so, which terminals am i testing with the meter?

Sorry for the dumb question, just dont have much experience with an ohm meter.
Unread 12-03-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
KA9GYX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
Thanks KA. I do know what the code means I just didn't know how to approach it.
Quote:
Thanks guys. If i use an ohm meter, would I just disconnect the terminal to the injector and test the voltage coming out of the wire? should it be 12v's? Is it simply a 2 wire connector or does it have multiple terminals within the connector? if so, which terminals am i testing with the meter?

Sorry for the dumb question, just dont have much experience with an ohm meter.

My 2 cents worth... I don't believe you will get a "voltage" reading because the injectors are pulsed by the computer. If you do, it will be a sporadic reading, with the voltmeter bouncing all over the voltage spectrum. I would do a resistance check instead. If you have a good connection/wire from the computer to your injectors, its going to get the pulse it needs to inject the fuel. Like I said...My $.02 cents worth.

I'm not that well adverse in this department.
Unread 12-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #12
Brigadier
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That actually makes sense. So how would i go about doing a resistance check?
Unread 12-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #13
KA9GYX
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
That actually makes sense. So how would i go about doing a resistance check?
set your meter on Rx1 (lowest resistance reading) and then touch the red and black leads together. It should "zero out" (no resistance). Now find which wires are coming from the computer connector to the injectors. Disconnect the computer connector and find which pair of injector wires go to the corresponding computer pins (check your manual) injector #1, injector #2...so on and so on. If they "zero out" your wire is good. There may be a slight meter deflection due to copper wire having its own resistance but it will be VERY minimal (.002 ohms). If you get a reading that doesn't look kosher, that wire most likely will be broken somewhere between the computer and injector.

Your local AutoZone may rent you a meter.
Unread 12-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
Brigadier
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thats great info. Thank you very much. Ill gicve it all a shot tonight. Im hoping it was a misfire or something and I can get simply clear the codes.
Unread 12-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #15
Brigadier
1992 YJ Wrangler 

This is driving me nuts. So I got home and disconnected the battery and touched the battery cable terminals together a few times to clear the codes. nothing. So the, with the Jeep running, i disconnected each injector connector one by one to listen for changes. Each one made the engine run rough so that indicates to me that the injectors are working, at least somewhat. I also pulled each plug to look for any fouling and they all look fine.
I have not tested with an ohm meter yet because: 1) i do not yet have one 2) It looks like I would have to pull some of the wiring harness apart to follow the wires back to the computer and im afraid to do that and 3) my logic tells me that everything will most likely check out because the injectors are obviously working, at least to a degree.
Would it be a bad investment to replace all the injectors? Any other ideas. im stumped and I really need to get this thing through emissions.
Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.