92 wrangler stalling problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 wrangler stalling problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
ffjgk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

92 wrangler stalling problem

I have just took ownership of this jeep, first one ever I have noticed today that after starting, it stalled and then would not start again. I would turn the key on and i could hear the fuel pump working. I waited about ten minutes before trying again. It started up and was idling fine then it would start to sputter and wouldn't idle right. I would accelerate the throttle and it would seem fine just wouldn't idle. Any ideas??? Again brand new jeep owner so sorry if this is answered somewhere else

ffjgk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 03:20 PM   #2
The_Goob
Hell on Wheels

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Any check engine light/codes? has this jeep been sitting for a long time
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
skippy102595
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I just bought my 93 YJ in November and it was also my first, so I'm not an expert by any means or even very experienced. My YJ's a little B***h to start in the mornings but I start it to get it warmed up to go and it idles just fine. For you it might be the fuel lines or maybe even the battery possibly not sending enough power to the pump when you idle. I would sit down and turn the key until the red check engine light pops on and sit there and listen to the pump, if it starts to get quieter then it could be the battery like I said. Again don't take my word for anything I'm just speculating on possibilities because I've gotten so much help from here I thought I'd try to give a little help back for once. Good luck and I wish you all the best sir!
skippy102595 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
skippy102595
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Or ma'am!
skippy102595 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
rstoltenberg1
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy102595 View Post
I just bought my 93 YJ in November and it was also my first, so I'm not an expert by any means or even very experienced. My YJ's a little B***h to start in the mornings but I start it to get it warmed up to go and it idles just fine. For you it might be the fuel lines or maybe even the battery possibly not sending enough power to the pump when you idle. I would sit down and turn the key until the red check engine light pops on and sit there and listen to the pump, if it starts to get quieter then it could be the battery like I said. Again don't take my word for anything I'm just speculating on possibilities because I've gotten so much help from here I thought I'd try to give a little help back for once. Good luck and I wish you all the best sir!
You could take the battery Out of the jeep after you start it, and the alternator would keep it running.
rstoltenberg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
ffjgk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

there is no check engine light on, the jeep hasn't been sitting all that long. the voltage seems fine as well. i was thinking about replacing the sending unit with the fuel pump not sure if that might help.
Unread 02-01-2014, 04:31 PM   #7
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

fuel filter?
Unread 02-01-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I can't see the year or drive train I the cell. Are you a 91/95?
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:34 AM   #9
ffjgk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It's a 1992 wrangler 4cyl
Unread 02-03-2014, 07:14 AM   #10
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum. I am on the PC finally.

Check your codes like Goob said and post back what you get:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...codes-1257145/

Clean the IAC and throttle body:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/q...-body-1262267/
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:31 AM   #11
ffjgk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

It appears that it's a 12 and a 33 I started it up to move it and it ran for a few minutes than it stalled, I re started it and it felt almost like it wasn't getting fuel. Now it cranks but won't start.
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check for spark at the plugs and fuel at the fuel rail.
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
ffjgk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ok just an update, went back out and tried it again still cranks but no go. I did replace the fuel filter over the weekend as well. I opened the hood and moved the wires that go to the distributor and nothing else and went in and tried It and it started up again. Don't know if this is the problem or just a fluke thing. Could it be the fuel pump not pumping enough. I have been thinking about changing the sending unit since the fuel gauge doesn't work right anyway.
Unread 02-03-2014, 12:46 PM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dont throw parts at it. You need to see what part of the system you are losing fuel or spark. The next time it doesnt start push the valve on the fuel rail and see if you get fuel to shoot out. Remove a plug wire and put a phillips screwdriver up inside the boot and the otherside near ground on the block. See if it arcs. There are way too many things that can be going on. You can spend a lot of wasted time and money trying to figure it out.
Unread 02-04-2014, 06:34 PM   #15
ffjgk
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I will try that during the week and see what it does. Right now it is running I will update you this week

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.