92 Wrangler dashboard speaker replacement - drill out studs? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 Wrangler dashboard speaker replacement - drill out studs?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #16
mantonas
2003 WJ 

I did read your link

Actually, I did review your link, but I didn't think it really applied to what we were doing. You went ahead and pulled out your dash to do it. If you recall, at the time, I was more interested in learning about the whole drilling-out-the-studs thing, which I didn't really want to do as a goal in itself; I just didn't want to have to remove the dash to get the speakers in. (This was mainly because he has only had the Jeep since January and thus far has not tried to lower his windshield. For all we know, the hinges are rusted solid, and if we tried to exercise them, we might have bought one-way tickets to a world of crap that we didn't want to have to deal with right now.) Also, my son's Polk speakers did not look like yours (they were on rectangular plastic plates, with a 4" round speaker and a tweeter); if you had been using the exact same speakers as his, you would have definitely grabbed my attention.

When we got the passenger side speaker out, I held up the new Polk speaker against the old speaker, quickly eyeballed it, and thought it was okay, because it looked close and we were kind of rushing because he had to go to work. Only after we tried to put it in did we discover it didn't fit. After that, I essentially did what you did, which was to measure the holes in the old speaker and make sure there were matching holes in the new speaker. (You didn't actually provide a template with measurements or I would have used it instead of taking my own measurements.)

I second the guy who said that he was going with a sound bar after reading my post!

mantonas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 03:23 AM   #17
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Doesn't really matter but I did not pull my dash. Followed the info that was in that link that someone else posted up.

To pull my dash means i would have to pull the cage.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:00 AM   #18
J-Quad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rproject View Post
....Polk 4x6 replacement speakers... I put them in my YJ. They have multiple mounting holes designed for the variety of manufacturer stud locations used with 4x6 speakers over the years. They fit in pretty well, but were not perfect. They sound "OK".
Rproject,

Do you have a part # you could share?
Where did you get them from?
Thanks in Advance!
J-Quad
J-Quad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:09 AM   #19
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Quad View Post

Rproject,

Do you have a part # you could share?
Where did you get them from?
Thanks in Advance!
J-Quad
I do not, sorry. Got them at Best Buy, but as you can see from the OP's posts, they are not a perfect fit. I had similar issues as the OP and decided the jam them in there which kind of bent the studs enough to get them to fit.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #20
g33kdrummer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I just stuck my hand in there with the new speakers and felt around for a little while. I think I've only caught 1 top and 1 bottom hole. They hold pretty well though, haven't fell out in years.
g33kdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
cushtech
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantonas View Post
my son's Polk speakers did not look like yours (they were on rectangular plastic plates, with a 4" round speaker and a tweeter); if you had been using the exact same speakers as his, you would have definitely grabbed my attention.
I installed 4x6 oval speakers when I did that write up. The OP put in what's referred to as Plate Style speakers. There isn't a template with measurements, I just used the old speaker as a guide.

Drilling out the studs makes a lot of sense if you want to avoid removing lots of stuff, folding the windshield or having to jam your hands up behind the dash and awkwardly put a socket on the nuts. The CFE Kit with Kicker speakers is the one that comes with a drill template. They only have you drill out one stud per side (the one that's hard to get to.) They supply a neat little wrench they call a Speed Nut Tool so you don't have to use a regular wrench or socket. It looks like a thick washer with the right size hex hole in the middle. It's a pretty cool way of dealing with the dash speakers. Check out the install sheet here...

http://www.quadratec.com/Assets/Installation/142809.pdf

If you had the template or could locate the stud locations here's the procedure. This involves drilling out all the studs.

1. Drill out the studs. This lets you remove the speaker without having to reach behind the dash with a socket or wrench. It should just drop down.

2. Remove the old speaker, remove the nuts and the studs. Remove the wiring.

3. Take your new speaker and put it face to face with the old one. See if the mounting holes line up. If not mark where they should be and drill new ones.

4. Put the new speaker behind the dash to see if it fits in the space and if the mounting holes line up. Trim as needed. You can use the old speaker as a template.

5. Once you're happy with the fit and the mounting holes line up nicely use 4 Speed Clips if you can or epoxy 4 lock nuts on the back of the speaker behind the mounting holes. Make sure you don't block any threads with epoxy. Note that you may need to use a spacer ring.

6. Wire up the new speaker.

7. Pop the speaker behind the dash, align the hole and tighten up the screws. Be gentle if you used epoxy so the nuts don't break off.

Yeah, you now have 8 screw heads showing on your dash but just paint them. If all went well this could take as little as 15 or 20 minutes a side.

If anyone can create a template I think the YJ community could benefit from it.
cushtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.