92 Wrangler dashboard speaker replacement - drill out studs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > 92 Wrangler dashboard speaker replacement - drill out studs?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
mantonas
2003 WJ 

92 Wrangler dashboard speaker replacement - drill out studs?

My son is planning on replacing the front speakers in his 92 YJ. He bought Polk Audio replacement 4x6 speakers. But while we were shopping around, we noticed that Quadratec sold their replacement speakers with a nifty little device that helped you drill through the dash in the exact location of one of the speaker mounting studs that is hard to access from the front and remove the stud. Instead of the stud in that location you'd have a hole; you install a bolt in that location to replace the stud.

The way they do it is with this nifty little plate that has two pegs in it and a hole off to the side. The pegs fit into the ends of one of the slots in the dashboard speaker grille, and the hole is where the stud is on the back side of the dashboard. You drill through the hole, and the stud is gone.

Has anyone used this method, and if so, can you supply a template or the dimensions of this plate?

mantonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #2
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Did your son buy the Polk 4x6 replacement speakers? I put them in my YJ. They have multiple mounting holes designed for the variety of manufacturer stud locations used with 4x6 speakers over the years. They fit in pretty well, but were not perfect. They sound "OK".

In my last YJ, and I don't know why I didn't do it in this one, I put in 5 1/4" round speakers. They fit perfectly to the existing stud locations.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I ran some cheap Marine grade 4x6 speakers. The Polk are good speakers but sound alot better with more power, like an amp. The 5 1/4" aren't impossible, but they aren't a drop in replacement.
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
mantonas
2003 WJ 

Drilling out studs is the topic of this thread

Not that advice on speaker selection is not appreciated, but the reason I started this thread was to find out if anyone has used the method of drilling out the threaded studs that are mounted on the back side of the dashboard to hold the speakers by drilling through the front. The trick in doing that is to know exactly where they are before starting to drill.

And to back up even further, the reason to drill out the studs is that they are hard to access and make the speakers hard to remove and replace without removing the dashboard, which we don't want to do.

So people can feel free to go off topic as much as they want, but I hope along the way somebody eventually shares some information about drilling out the studs from the front without removing the dashboard.

Also, if anyone is really smart and has figured out how to easily remove and replace the speakers without drilling out the studs or removing the dashboard, then I would be really interested in hearing about that.

Thanks!
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok. I ran my hand up under the dash and used a 1/4 deepwell socket with a wobbler on a 1/4 stubby ratchet to install mine. I also used 4 pieces of 1/4 fuel line as a bumper between the speaker and the grill so it wouldn't damage the tweeter.
Unread 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #6
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Actually it was 1/4" drive, I think the socket was a 5/16
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #7
mantonas
2003 WJ 

I can't picture how you used the fuel line to protect the tweeter. Did you put it over the studs?
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #8
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

So you removed the studs. What is the gain when you have to install the nuts on the bolts ?
Then you have defaced the grill opening.

This seems to be a half assed way to do the job

It`s not that hard to do it right and you don`t have to remove the dash to do it.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #9
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantonas View Post
I can't picture how you used the fuel line to protect the tweeter. Did you put it over the studs?
Yup. About 1/2 long piece of fuel line oneach stud, slide the speaker over the studs and replace the washer and nut. On almost all speakers the tweeter protrudes from the font of the speaker, I didn't want to wreck the tweeter as it ce muddle the sound and actually short out. IIRC I loosened the 6 bolts on the side of the dash to do it. Took about 20 minutes altogether.
Unread 03-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #10
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not that advice on speaker selection is not appreciated, but the reason I started this thread was to find out if anyone has used the method of drilling out the threaded studs that are mounted on the back side of the dashboard to hold the speakers by drilling through the front. The trick in doing that is to know exactly where they are before starting to drill.

And to back up even further, the reason to drill out the studs is that they are hard to access and make the speakers hard to remove and replace without removing the dashboard, which we don't want to do.

So people can feel free to go off topic as much as they want, but I hope along the way somebody eventually shares some information about drilling out the studs from the front without removing the dashboard.

Also, if anyone is really smart and has figured out how to easily remove and replace the speakers without drilling out the studs or removing the dashboard, then I would be really interested in hearing about that.

Thanks!
Mantonas,

I replaced speakers in at least 6 YJ's without pulling the dash apart or drilling out the studs. The passenger's side is a slam dunk, there's plenty of room to get your hands up inside there. The driver's side is pretty tight. OK, super tight, but it can be done. To make life easier, you can loosen the dash bolts on the driver's side. That will give you some flex in the dash and give you a little more room. Honestly, I see no reason to drill out the studs.

My statement, earlier, about different speaker options was merely an observation from one audiophile's perspective. As long as you're going to do the project, and likely nick/scratch/cut up your hands working on the driver's side, you may want to look at all available options for speakers so you don't have buyer's remorse and have to go back and do it again later.

USMCBuckWild is correct that the 5 1/4's wasn't a drop in. They dropped over the studs, but I had to get the Dremel out and trim the edge of the dash so they'd snug up correctly.

I went with the 4x6 Polk drop ins with my current YJ because I run topless so much that "quality sound" just isn't going to happen.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #11
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Yup. About 1/2 long piece of fuel line oneach stud, slide the speaker over the studs and replace the washer and nut. On almost all speakers the tweeter protrudes from the font of the speaker, I didn't want to wreck the tweeter as it ce muddle the sound and actually short out. IIRC I loosened the 6 bolts on the side of the dash to do it. Took about 20 minutes altogether.
Did the same thing but added a length of 3/4 thick sticky back weatherstrip around the outside of the speaker to seal it up to the dash grille.

Read this link
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...ite-up-554831/
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #12
mantonas
2003 WJ 

Closure is always nice, so here it is.

Okay, my son and I managed to replace his front speakers without dropping the dashboard or drilling out any studs. Here's how it went.

1. First of all, the Polk speakers that are supposed to fit right in don't fit right in. They have a multitude of holes of varying diameters in various locations, and none of them fit. The closest fit was some notches in the outside of the plastic frame on the sides. They were just a little too close together in the horizontal direction, and very much too close together in the vertical direction. So the first thing we had to do with the beautiful new speakers was goober them up with a coping saw. Not fun.

2. On the passenger side, by removing the interior light below the speaker, there was enough room to get a hand up and find the studs. The nuts were too tight to loosen by hand, but all we had to do to break them loose was to grab a 11/32" 1/4" drive socket and use it to turn the nuts. Just a little extra diameter is all you need to break them loose. Then we spun them off by hand. After backing the speaker off the stud, with a little contorting, we were able to lower it out of the car. The new speaker went in the same way. We used fender washers and attached the speaker using three of the studs. It was tight enough.

3. On the driver's side, we removed the emergency brake pedal by removing two nuts under the hood and one under the dash. We also removed the interior light, and there was a kind of little "skid plate" that appeared to be there to protect some wiring. We removed that. Then we removed a bunch of torx-head screws holding the left side of the dashboard on, and pried it back and stuck a small piece of 1/4" aluminum plate that we had to keep it pulled out. Even after that, access was more difficult than on the passenger side because of the plate under the dash that provided a mounting point for the emergency brake pedal. In spite of that, there was still enough room to get a hand up there and remove the nuts holding the speaker in place. Getting the speaker out required two people: one to pull a large wiring harness out of the way, and the other to raise the speaker in place, which required a lot of turning the speaker left, right, up, down, in, out, etc. Again, we attached the speaker to three studs using fender washers.

The steps I described above were not done efficiently in the order I listed them. For example, we didn't discover that the speakers had the holes in the wrong place until we had been trying for almost an hour to get the passenger side speaker into place. Then, depressed, we walked away from the job for almost a week, during which my son had no music in his car, which sucks.

So to conclude, we didn't need to drill out any studs, and we didn't need to lower the windshield and remove the dash. However, it would obviously be a lot easier to do this if you first remove the dash.

Thanks a bunch for everyone's comments, and I hope my writeup helps somebody in the future.
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
mantonas
2003 WJ 

Oh, I forgot:

The head unit is about a three year old Pioneer, and the speakers sound very good. Not super loud, but good.
Unread 04-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Okay, my son and I managed to replace his front speakers without dropping the dashboard or drilling out any studs. Here's how it went.

1. First of all, the Polk speakers that are supposed to fit right in don't fit right in. They have a multitude of holes of varying diameters in various locations, and none of them fit. The closest fit was some notches in the outside of the plastic frame on the sides. They were just a little too close together in the horizontal direction, and very much too close together in the vertical direction. So the first thing we had to do with the beautiful new speakers was goober them up with a coping saw. Not fun.

2. On the passenger side, by removing the interior light below the speaker, there was enough room to get a hand up and find the studs. The nuts were too tight to loosen by hand, but all we had to do to break them loose was to grab a 11/32" 1/4" drive socket and use it to turn the nuts. Just a little extra diameter is all you need to break them loose. Then we spun them off by hand. After backing the speaker off the stud, with a little contorting, we were able to lower it out of the car. The new speaker went in the same way. We used fender washers and attached the speaker using three of the studs. It was tight enough.

3. On the driver's side, we removed the emergency brake pedal by removing two nuts under the hood and one under the dash. We also removed the interior light, and there was a kind of little "skid plate" that appeared to be there to protect some wiring. We removed that. Then we removed a bunch of torx-head screws holding the left side of the dashboard on, and pried it back and stuck a small piece of 1/4" aluminum plate that we had to keep it pulled out. Even after that, access was more difficult than on the passenger side because of the plate under the dash that provided a mounting point for the emergency brake pedal. In spite of that, there was still enough room to get a hand up there and remove the nuts holding the speaker in place. Getting the speaker out required two people: one to pull a large wiring harness out of the way, and the other to raise the speaker in place, which required a lot of turning the speaker left, right, up, down, in, out, etc. Again, we attached the speaker to three studs using fender washers.

The steps I described above were not done efficiently in the order I listed them. For example, we didn't discover that the speakers had the holes in the wrong place until we had been trying for almost an hour to get the passenger side speaker into place. Then, depressed, we walked away from the job for almost a week, during which my son had no music in his car, which sucks.

So to conclude, we didn't need to drill out any studs, and we didn't need to lower the windshield and remove the dash. However, it would obviously be a lot easier to do this if you first remove the dash.

Thanks a bunch for everyone's comments, and I hope my writeup helps somebody in the future.
It does help. I'm going to abandon the dash speakers and get a sound bar!
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #15
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

You did not follow my link. It had the template for the Polk`s and what holes needed to drilled etc. Drop in install with that.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.